1940 9n spindle removal

Ron Vale

Member
I need some help.
I am trying to replace my spindle bushings.
I cant seem to get the spindle apart from the steering arm. I removed the tapered bolt from the top of the arm but I am not sure where to go from there. I hit the top of the spindle with a hammer ...It might have moved 1/8" at most.
I stopped because I got that feeling I was doing something wrong...Can anyone help?
Thanks
 
Just tried heat. used wd-40 and held torch on for about 5 min. with the gear puller cranked tight. Hit it with a lump hammer....nothin!!
 
(quoted from post at 14:29:45 03/12/11) heat didnt work

I kinda doubt that you have the kind of heat it is going to take.

What did you use, a plumbers propane torch?
 
If you mean the tapered bolt from the spindle arm at the very top of the spindle...yes I did remove it.
I used an acetylene torch.
 
(quoted from post at 16:07:12 03/12/11) Thats just it I cant remove the arm from the spindle

There is no key in those spindles. Check for signs the arm has been welded to the spindle - one of the "fixes" for the less than robust tapered pin design. Mine were not welded but it took a lot of persuasion to separate them.

TOH
 
This is the bolt/pin I removed from the spindle arm. Is this the only thing stopping the spindle from dropping out?
a34216.jpg
 
You should be able to get it hot enough with oxy/act.

Heat around the outside, be careful about setting grease, and worse, yet tractor on fire.

It may have to be pretty hot.

I know more about 8Ns than 9-2Ns, but I am pretty sure that tapered bolt you have removed, is the only thing that holds it in.

Do not beat on the top and swell the spindle.

You might try tapping the end of the piece the tie rod goes in, back and forth, to get it broke loose, again, don't get carried away, and break it, or bend it.

You might block up the axle, take the spindle (where the front hub fits on), put a 2x4, or 4x4 on the top of it, and hit it with a large hammer.

Just some off the top of my head suggestions.
 
Thanks for getting back to me Dunk, I will try heat some more and the bottom spindle thing tomorrow...Just sucks, spent all day and got nowhere....I still love my tractor
 
The hole where the pin went through may be flared out into the casting causing some interference. How about trying to steady the lower portion and rotating the spindle arm on the spindle to see if it breaks free. Once it rotates I think you will be able to remove it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top