1940 CASE DH Info

Hi ,
I have the opportunity to purchase A 1940 Case DH Serial #4400951DH the tractor is complete but was in a barn fire at one point and has been sitting in a field for the last 30 years. I been told they are rare and the guys is asking $500. My question is, how rare? And what’s the value? I assume the motor would be set up but I’m not 100% sure. Also this model I read did not come with turning breaks and this tractor has them. I was told the owners grandfather added them on. Thanks in advance.

Yes I would say rare.
According to 'Illustrated Case Tractor Buyer's Guide' by Peter Letourneau there were 59 made in 1939 and 82 made in 1940. Then production was halted on the DH.

Looking at the 39-41 D series parts book the DH is listed with the independent brake models. Whether or not that is significant I do not know, There is a page that appears to be a complete brake kit on those models, I could be wrong on that but that is how it appears. The rears were all the same in those models so someone could have very well swapped the parts from a donor tractor. I believe the early DC series share the same rear casting as a C series. Along these line I believe I seen somewhere that the C industrial could be had with electric start.

If the block and serial number plate matches, you should buy it. It would be easy to add the brakes from a CC or early DC to make it more useful in the field. In 80 years I'm sure people made it work for them. It would also be fairly easy to get the hand brake off a C to put it back to original. Good luck if you do get it, lots of knowledge on this forum to help you out

Hand brake. Usually they have a hand brake only but the rear casting has the spots to add the side rear brakes with a some work

What was their target market? I know there are orchard, vineyard, and rice tractors. Was it just a lower cost tractor by eliminating options on the tractor?

I'm not sure what their target was. I assume it wasn't a big deal because both the CH and DH numbers were so low and for such a short time. Might have been an economic issue for the late thirties. Shave some time and material off during production but still end up with a big tractor for field work. Maybe cost $50-75 less. Not sure though???

Depended on how the tractor was order by dealer. I own a 1938 ch case that has turning brakes from factory.

The H in the DH would mean design as higher ground clearance.Not sure on the DH models but on the CH models the main difference was the front wheel spindle assembly was made to give a higher ground clearance.

I recommend seeing if the build card is available to see if it was shipped as a DH.
If you decide against buying it I would be interested.
Good Luck
nick

(quoted from post at 12:35:22 12/25/20) The H in the DH would mean design as higher ground clearance.Not sure on the DH models but on the CH models the main difference was the front wheel spindle assembly was made to give a higher ground clearance.

I don't seem to have a DH flyer, but here's a sales flyer for the CH.
mvphoto67290.jpg

mvphoto67291.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back