1943 Massey Harris manure spreaer

I recently purchased a Massey Harris manure spreader off market place its in great shape for its age seller stated it works flawlessly (famous last words)actually it does other than the chain drive for the beaters keeps coming off about every twenty feet must of slipped his mind to tell me that part.ive never experienced a chain like this way before my time I guess. As you can see in the pic the head has a notch that keeps it from turning.looks like you just mash the other end with a hammer sorta like a rivet in a sickle bar blade rivet.can you still purchase these or can I just use a bolt about the same diameter and double nut it .thanks
cvphoto169270.jpg

cvphoto169271.jpg

Yes you could use the double nutted bolt providing there is clearance for it to pass over the sprockets and other obstacles that the chain passes near to. Are you removing a link to tension the chain better? Correcting problems with tensioning and alignment will be the most important things to help the chain stay on, as if that is not obvious.

Lay the chain on the bench and see if it moves endways when you push or pull on the ends of a few links if so it is shot and needs replacing. Worn out sloppy chains will jump off even if tight.

Lay the chain on the bench and see if it moves endways when you push or pull on the ends of a few links if so it is shot and needs replacing. Worn out sloppy chains will jump off even if tight.
I'm wondering if it has the wrong style chain on it the other side has a typical style chain you see on spreaders this side has a roller chain could that be the problem

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back