1944 Case SC Magneto

Gdunavant

New User
I am trying to restore my Great Grandfathers 44 Case SC. I am having issues getting spark from the magneto. It had a Edison RM type mag on it when I got it. It was rusted and frozen up. I purchased a replacement RM mag online, but still cannot get spark. I am finding that the edison RM is very hard to find parts for so I was looking at swapping to a different brand, but I am unsure of what will bolt up on this tractor. Can someone give me advise as to what mags will bolt up on this? I think a Fairbanks FM-J4 will bolt on but unsure of others. Farmall, Allis Chalmers etc. Any advise would be appreciated.

If you do not care about originality a IH mag, Fairbanks, Wico all will bolt on, You would do well to make sure your replacement has a 30 degree Lag angle as that affects the engine timing once the Impulse kicks out. Most older engines with mags fire at O static to keep from breaking your arm and the Impulse cup determines how much advance occurs once the impulse kicks out. The clicking sound a mag makes at cranking speed is the impulse being released to give a quick snap on the magnetic rotor over to increase spark quality and that needs to happen at or near
DC. on the flywheel marks.

Ofcourse you know that CASE made their own magneto's. Made them for airplane engines also. Keep your eye out for the Eagle on the mag. gobble

Yes, I am aware. I searched for an original Case mag, but what I found was that most all parts have been discontinued back in the 80's. I was only looking at swapping to a different brand for parts availability going forward. Not sure what this tractor was originally built with since it was built during WWII. It has some unique things about it due to the time it was built. One for example I am told was that the tires are from Montgomery Ward and are a rare "muffin cup" tread I call it. Not your normal tractor bar tread and larger than a typical turf tire. I think the Edison mag was used on this one as that might have been all that was available at the time.

Test ran a Sc with the distributor off of my Farmall H. The original SC mag was so corroded up, so just put my distributor on it and it ran great. Doubt the guy did anything with it after that.

(quoted from post at 18:07:48 11/14/23) Ofcourse you know that CASE made their own magneto's. Made them for airplane engines also. Keep your eye out for the Eagle on the mag. gobble

Your SC mag will be worked on, on Kevins work bench next week Tom, CM

There was a shop in Carthage Mo. that did a fine job rebuilding magnetos 25 yrs ago . .. I have a new CASE magneto for a airplane that i bought at Case EXPO auction in Liberty Ky. ,.. And a dozen various brands in a wood box from a local shop that had a auction some years back

sadly jack chandler retired. i know him well. his son and i are the VERY same age.
he fixed several mags for me through the years great man

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back