1945 2N - Transmission issue - heard a popping noise

technoamish

New User

Hey Everybody I'm starting another new message. "For those who haven't been following this issue, I was moving some dirt with a 1/4 yard back bucket and heard a pop noise. I tried all the gears and the 2N didn't move just acted like it was in neutral. One suggestion was to check the differential ring gear rivets. I removed the left side axle and inspected; everything looked fine. the next suggestion was to check the Coupling Assy - transmission to pinion. I just removed the right side inspection cover and mystery solved!! the Coupling shaft has broke in half. Ultradog MN & royse you nailed it! Looks like I'm going to have to split the tractor to replace. Here's the funny thing normally as you mentioned these don't tend to break. Weeeeellll, Previously when I was having some hydraulic
issues I installed the lift cover and the piston connecting rod had dropped down on the coupler. I didn't realize that I had done this.
Well I had mowed the lawn and drove the tractor around a bit before I corrected that issue. It must of scored the coupler causing a weak spot and that's where the coupler snapped in half."

Ok All, Now that I've given you a history of this issue, I have more to add!! I did something against my better judgement and it bit me. I ordered a coupler on line and low and behold it's not the correct coupler? My 2N coupler has different size splines on each side. The coupler that was sent to me has the same size splines on each side. Need less to say it doesn't fit. I have a Ford Catalogue and it specifies "8N-4602-B Coupling Assy - Transmission to Pinion - 1939 - 1952" So either my catalogue has mis stated that the part is he same form 39 to 52
or I was sold a part form a different tractor; maybe a Fordson or a Ferguson? Does anybody out there by some crazy chance know the answer to this?..............For reference the size of the splines on my Coupler - I.D = 1 3/16" O.D = 1 3/8" transmission side -- I.D = 1 5/16" O.D = 1 1/2" Pinion side.........(Now the bad part that was sent to me was I.D= 1 3/16" O.D = 1 3/8")

Hey royse, Can you check the part you have to verify if it has different sized splines on each end?

"Hey royse, Can you check the part you have to verify if it has different sized splines on each end?"

Yes it does. It came out of an 8N. Not sure what they sold you.

I found my couplers 9N & 8N use the same. They are a different size on the ends. Not the same like the one you received... A 600 is the same on both ends but I think its shorter...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back