1947 Ford 2N governor upgrade.

Dwd14329

2N owners or specifically 2N experienced DIY members. Most importantly, can i upgrade to a proof meter ready governor? My governor does not have a proof meter cable hook up. I cannot find a full assembly anywhere? Has anybody located one new or used? A full assembly- Governor, cable and gauge? I'd prefer good quality, used if quality rebuilt.

Why what?
I can't speak for Jmor but think he meant why change the governor. Your 2N would need a mounting for the proof meter which the 2N dash has no provision for.
If it were me and I Really wanted a tach I would convert to 12V and add an electronic one. And I would get rid of the amp meter and go with a volt meter at the same time.

I don't know who JMOR is but it's none of his business why I want a tachometer/proof meter? Why else would anybody want a tachometer. It was an incomplete question to a question. To me, that's uncalled for. I have a place to mount it, I basically wanted to know if I can mount a 3 arm proof meter ready governor (like the 8N governors) on the 2N. Any good mechanic would understand my question. The reason i asked for experienced 2N tractor owner was to see if they were successful of installing this set up. I shouldn't have to explain my reasons for my questions. I understand asking mechanical questions pertaining to my post but not just "why". That's arrogant! Does he ask every post "why"? That's OK, the new ignore feature was made for ppl like himself. BTW, I got my answer from another resource. He didn't ask why. Then another member called me a snowflake? He obviously can't read because my profile was explicitly conservative based. I erased my profile details. There are ppl that have nothing better to do than to criticize or try to make themselves appear to be smarter when it's obvious they have a complex. Sorry for the long message, but I felt it necessary send a message....this is not tiktok, fb or Twitter. Ask why on those platforms.
Well since you asked,
Jmor has been on these forums for 20 plus years and has made upwards of 30,000 posts.
Most of them helpful ones to all comers - even ungrateful newbies.
He knows a heck of a lot about those Ns - and a bunch of other Ford models and other brands - and has enough discernment to recognize a 'not so good' idea when he reads it.
Most of us here, if Jmor asked that question of us, would stop and rethink whether our idea is sound or not.

I don't know who JMOR is but it's none of his business why I want a tachometer/proof meter? Why else would anybody want a tachometer. It was an incomplete question to a question. To me, that's uncalled for. I have a place to mount it, I basically wanted to know if I can mount a 3 arm proof meter ready governor (like the 8N governors) on the 2N. Any good mechanic would understand my question. The reason i asked for experienced 2N tractor owner was to see if they were successful of installing this set up. I shouldn't have to explain my reasons for my questions. I understand asking mechanical questions pertaining to my post but not just "why". That's arrogant! Does he ask every post "why"? That's OK, the new ignore feature was made for ppl like himself. BTW, I got my answer from another resource. He didn't ask why. Then another member called me a snowflake? He obviously can't read because my profile was explicitly conservative based. I erased my profile details. There are ppl that have nothing better to do than to criticize or try to make themselves appear to be smarter when it's obvious they have a complex. Sorry for the long message, but I felt it necessary send a message....this is not tiktok, fb or Twitter. Ask why on those platforms.
I thought you'd left?

2N owners or specifically 2N experienced DIY members. Most importantly, can i upgrade to a proof meter ready governor? My governor does not have a proof meter cable hook up. I cannot find a full assembly anywhere? Has anybody located one new or used? A full assembly- Governor, cable and gauge? I'd prefer good quality, used if quality rebuilt.
More hassle than it's worth IMO. What seems to be your governor problem? Know that the 9N/2N Governor had 3-ARMS. The 8N introduced a new 2-ARM Unit and they are different. Linkages all changed. Proofmeter wasn't added until the late 8N and all models after followed suit. The early 9N Governor was cast iron. The 9N/2N governor did not use an oil lube line until 1943. Dealers were instructed to install the extra line if the customer came in for service. I have the OEM Repair Manual for it if you want a copy. There is a procedure for adjusting governor in the manuals. There is governor rebuild kit available too so before anything else, might want to consider a rebuild if you are having problems. GOV REPAIR KIT p/n 9N-18200-KIT. Balls on unit get flat spots. Kit has new 5/8" balls, new bearing, new gasket, and new races. JMOR is one of my long time mentors and we talk often. I've learned a lot from him. One of the best. Adding an aftermarket electronic TACH is the ticket if you think you need one. Don't see what 12V has to do with the TACH nor a voltmeter as opposed to an AMMETER. Charging system is done by AMPS not volts. Whatever. Contrary to some misconceptions, the Proofmeter IS NOT an electrical device -only a mechanical one.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• 82QrLd0.jpg
    82QrLd0.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 12
  • ziOHD27.jpg
    ziOHD27.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 12
  • bpJTt3n.jpg
    bpJTt3n.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 6QsbVPf.jpg
    6QsbVPf.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 10

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back