1948 8N not running

I know this is a common title, sorry.
I can't get my tractor to run. It has been about 4 months since I used it last and then it was hard to start. It has a front mount distributor and has been converted to 12 volts.
I have been making some progress though. I took out the distributor, cleaned and reset the points to .015. I replaced the plugs with Autolite 437 gapped to .025.
I am guessing I have a 6 V coil. I measure resistance across it and it is 2.1. There is a 0.7 ohm resistor inline before the coil.
I removed a plug wire, grounded an old plug with approx 1/4" to the electrode and turned the starter on. I got an weakish orange spark.
I checked the fuel flow at the carburetor inlet and it fills a pint in less than 2 minutes. I checked fuel flow from the carburetor drain and it takes about 30 seconds longer to fill a pint. Both of these are with the fuel valve fully open and about 3 gallons in the tank.
It will not start under normal conditions. Battery is in decent shape so I ran some jumpers from my running car just to make sure. I have been able to get it to start by spraying gas into the carburetor but it does not keep running. If I keep spraying gas in after it starts it will keep going. It sounds like it is running on all four cylinders.
Help and thanks in advance.

JD,Your main jet in the celebrator is plugged up with trash/rust.Remove the carburetor and clean out all passages with carburetor cleaner and a wire /torch cleaner or a guitar string. Then blowout all passages,jets ect. with carburetor cleaner and straw.They must be clean!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back