1949 8N Steering tight after rebuild

canald

New User
Just finished rebuilding steering box. Replaced all parts that were worn or leaking. Put it together, made the adjustments per the manual. Filled box with 80W oil. Look no leaks. So proud of myself. Turned the steering column on the bench, a light stiff, thought it needed some breaking in. Put the tractor back together and took her for a spin. OH MY GOD. The steering is very hard to turn. Lifted the front end off the ground, steering a little easier. Disconnected the tie rods from dog legs, wheels turn easily no play in frontend. Steering is still stiff with front-end disconnected.
Now, I installed the shims the way they were. Very little up/down play in steering column. Took up the backlash on the sector shafts.
What am I missing? Maybe the sector shafts are too tight? Need to increase end play on the column by adding more shims?
Thanks for comments.

(quoted from post at 06:20:39 08/12/23) Just finished rebuilding steering box. Replaced all parts that were worn or leaking. Put it together, made the adjustments per the manual. Filled box with 80W oil. Look no leaks. So proud of myself. Turned the steering column on the bench, a light stiff, thought it needed some breaking in. Put the tractor back together and took her for a spin. OH MY GOD. The steering is very hard to turn. Lifted the front end off the ground, steering a little easier. Disconnected the tie rods from dog legs, wheels turn easily no play in frontend. Steering is still stiff with front-end disconnected.
Now, I installed the shims the way they were. Very little up/down play in steering column. Took up the backlash on the sector shafts.
What am I missing? Maybe the sector shafts are too tight? Need to increase end play on the column by adding more shims?
Thanks for comments.
id you follow the manual? There is a shim pack you need to get before starting this to set your backlash and so on. You want them tight but you don t want them too tight.

I rebuilt the box on my granddads 51 a few years back and you can turn it with one finger. It s also setup exactly per the book. FYI I recall this from the rebuild research. Don t be surprised if she starts leaking again. The seals that are available now just aren t as good as the OE stuff. If it does use corn head grease. You can get it at any local John Deere dealer. JD uses it in the gear boxes on combine cornheads. From what i understand it works as a good substitute if the box starts leaking.

I just did an 850 box. I stuffed it with grease and topped it off with 90W before putting the top section on.
Work it a few times and you will have a nice slurry that won't wash out or leak like a sieve.
Works well on brush hogs also with a leaky seal.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back