1950 8N overheating in hello oil pressure

cmd263263

New User
Hello everyone new to the forum. Hoping to gain some knowledge on these beautiful old machines. I recently purchased a 1950 Ford 8N. Initially she ran and operated just fine here recently I had a misfire on a single cylinder. That cylinder being cylinder 4 i checked and set the gap on the distributor. Replacing the distributor cap spark plugs and spark plug wires! I also threw on a new carburetor as I had previously had some minor issues with the old one.

The tractor ran great after this! However that only lasted for about a day typically my oil pressure at idle is about 20 and when operating normally somewhere between 30 and about 35. However at this particular time my idle pressure is only about 10 to 15 while my operation pressure with the throttle all the way up or close to it is only getting about 25 a tractor is also overheating very quickly any ideas?

Hello everyone new to the forum. Hoping to gain some knowledge on these beautiful old machines. I recently purchased a 1950 Ford 8N. Initially she ran and operated just fine here recently I had a misfire on a single cylinder. That cylinder being cylinder 4 i checked and set the gap on the distributor. Replacing the distributor cap spark plugs and spark plug wires! I also threw on a new carburetor as I had previously had some minor issues with the old one.

The tractor ran great after this! However that only lasted for about a day typically my oil pressure at idle is about 20 and when operating normally somewhere between 30 and about 35. However at this particular time my idle pressure is only about 10 to 15 while my operation pressure with the throttle all the way up or close to it is only getting about 25 a tractor is also overheating very quickly any ideas?
You had a misfire and threw parts at it and the tractor then ran great for 1 day? Now does it run bad? How are you judging overheating quickly? Have you checked the oil level?

Upvote 0
You had a misfire and threw parts at it and the tractor then ran great for 1 day? Now does it run bad? How are you judging overheating quickly? Have you checked the oil level?
There was a little smoke coming off the exhaust. Also out the oil air filter this was after about 30 minutes of running. The over heating I could tell by the heat of the motor also the radiator coolant was at a light boil. I did check the oil level was within standard operation requirements

Upvote 0
There was a little smoke coming off the exhaust. Also out the oil air filter this was after about 30 minutes of running. The over heating I could tell by the heat of the motor also the radiator coolant was at a light boil. I did check the oil level was within standard operation requirements
I would not be surprised to see vapor from an exhaust as it warms and dries out. Likewise, the engine crankcase breather will emit vapor as the engine warms and condensation is driven out.

Did you check it with a temp gun or thermometer in the radiator? Real numbers count, most people can't hold a hand on 120-degree motor and will say it is hot. You can check a number of locations on the cooling system and see if there is a stuck thermostat, restricted flow in a radiator, etc. Without a thermometer check and a real temperature reading your light boil may just be circulation with a few air bubbles in it.

You can also use a temp gun to check the exhaust header at each cylinder to see if it has a "cold" cylinder.

I am not saying it can't be overheating, just saying it has been seen many times before, something appears/feels really hot or overheating and actual checking with a temp gun or thermometer proves otherwise. Best info comes from a proper check and reporting actual numbers. Diagnose, don't shoot parts at it.

The question will come up, do you have a side mount or front mount distributor? How did you check the timing?

Upvote 0
If you want any good answers to any of these questions we'll need better info. Smoke off of the exhaust or out of the exhaust? Smoke coming out of the air inlet? Is it smoke or steam? Does it smell like oil burning? Radiator was at a "light boil", did you remove the cap or was it just coming out of the overflow? Did the tractor have antifreeze at the proper amount to protect from freezing? Does the tractor run now and does it run good or bad? If the engine truly was overheating the oil pressure would drop as oil get thinner when it gets hot.
Give us some answers to these questions and it will help.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back