1951 JD B WICO Magneto Model XB 4001

BigRedEd

Hello,
Removed the Mag to double check timing; (plugs have spark, Mag has spark, carb rebuilt, won't start) slot was horizontal with flywheel punch mark at 6 o'clock.
We noticed drive member is cracked on both sides about to fall off.

Only put new points and condenser in MAG XB
Can we swap a Model X spec XH-1042 Mag in its place or should stay with MAG XB spec XB 4001?
Tractor is gas only, 6 volt system, negative ground with a key switch for on/off.
Having trouble with tractor starting now; after running for an hour on first start up.

Thanks, Any advice/help is appreciated

The Wico XB is a distributer, not a magneto. They were junk when new. Throw it on a shelf or give it to your enemy. Get a Wico XH Magneto of a Delco Remy Dist. for your tractor.

I prefer an XH Magneto versus the XB battery powered ignition, its NOT a magneto. Dont forget a mag DOES NOT use switched battery power like the XB. DO NOT apply voltage to any XH terminal, those terminals are used as a kill switch and kill the spark if ground is applied. Or sure go ahead and figure out the XB problem ?? Your choice

John T

I bought a late model B a few years ago and had the same problem and got the same answers as you did. Put on a spare mag I had and that was the end of the problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back