1952 8N rear drag link

Matthew87

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I recently
purchased a new rear drag link end. One I got is not the same
as what I had. There is a significant length difference and it
doesnt work. Can anyone tell me what I need or Im missing?
Pics below

Pics
cvphoto94344.jpg

cvphoto94345.jpg

I'm afraid I'm of no help here, but it's interesting to me.
My draglinks are only adjustable on the front end.

mvphoto78415.jpg

I would guess the 8N was the same as the 9N-2N tractors and only front end was adjustable. Now the Ferguson 20 & 30 drag links interchange with the Ford units and both ends are adjustable. Think back in 8o's, possobly 70's on the 2N wore out and went to tractor parts yard to get some. Did not have the Ford ones but had off of a Ferguson that fit perfectly. Still on the 44 2N. But the picture did not look right for an N drag link as it looked like one made for a power steering tractor. And Ford did not make power steering for a tractor untill 55 for the 600-800 series.

Well after some research it looks like the drag link tube was changed after some time. They have different sized ones now that you have to use. Ill try one and see what happens haha.

Matthew87, Here is some info for you.
Ford 8N drag link assembly. As one of the largest suppliers of new and rebuilt Ford 8N tractor parts we most likely have the drag link assembly you need. Use the information above including the drag link assembly part number and picture (if available) to assist you in making your decision to purchase. If you are looking for a different drag link assembly, or have trouble locating the Ford 8N parts you need, we have MANY parts that are not listed on our website so feel free to contact us. call toll-free 800-853-2651.

Measure the length of the one you have ,the tube and center to center with the ends.

Here's something to really make your head spin :)
Taken from the 39 -- 53 Ford Tractor Master Parts Catalog

mvphoto78433.jpg

Even if you decipher this, If steering boxes were swapped out, instrument panels swapped out, drag links swapped right for left, front axles changed etc. all bets are off.

Best bet as Den aid is to take some measurements and contact a reputable supplier. Most are willing to help you out

(quoted from post at 15:46:11 07/11/21) Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I recently
purchased a new rear drag link end. One I got is not the same
as what I had. There is a significant length difference and it
doesnt work. Can anyone tell me what I need or Im missing?
Pics below
ent through this on my granddads tractor as I was putting it back together. If its a working tractor in short do yourself a favor and get both ends and the rod sleeve. Basically the OE setup had the rear tie rod end integrated into the basically the sleeve and only the end on the axle end of the setup was adjustable.

As you can tell by the chart that was posted above Ford did away with that thinking literally right after they were done with the 8Ns and went with a 2x tie rod end setup with a sleeve that was unique to the tractor type. Basically this way they could make the parts depot simpler so the wear items were the same across many of their products and they would carry fewer non wear items like the sleeves. You can still get the OE style from various vendors but the Ford/New Holland solution will have you replacing both ends and picking up a new sleeve to match.

I insist wherever possible to go with New Holland parts so that was my only option. Ill attach a picture of it so you get an idea. Not the best picture of the item in question but hopefully you can see what Im getting at.
mvphoto78477.jpg

Makes sense. I appreciate the response! Im just going ahead
and ordering the 32 1/4 tube they sell on here. It should be
good with the two new ends I already have

I went through this mess awhile back and basically that chart has the criteria to decode what ends with replaceable tie rod ends should be used and then what the appropriate sleeve would be.

Your right its a mess

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back