1957 Ford 850 carburetor

More help please. I rebuilt the old carb completely. Made sure all the pathways were open. I have good fuel flow to the carb. Good suction. Good fire at the plug, which are new. Timing is good. 150 psi compression on all 4 cylinders, that’s cold. Tractor will run for a second if I put a little fuel in the cylinders. But it will not start. I wondered if it may be a valve adjustment issue. But with the good suction at the carburetor IDK. Any advice? I also threatened it with a hammer.
Try reading the advice that you already have.

Problem solved. Like many problems once solved it kinda seems to make you feel a little bit stupid. The pick up tube in the tank is vertical with a screen to filter out trash. After 65+ years trash had built up around the lower half of the screen. Fuel could flow but too slowly. After pulling the tank valve and cleaning it, BINGO. Jeff’s in-line filter issue was the answer. Thanks Jeff! I consider myself a very experienced shade tree mechanic. And have worked on everything from a weed eater to a D8K cat dozer to 2 cycle boat motors. The thing I seem to have to learn over and over is. Kiss (keep it simple stupid) and the details matter. Thanks again for all the input and help. I have my tractor back and don’t have to plow my garden with a walk behind tiller. 😁

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back