1957 Ford Work Master power steering drive pully

I am new here and looking for answers for a problem on my 1957 Ford Workmaster tractor. My tractor has factory power steering. The PS pump locked up one day and I have now rebuilt the pump with new bearings. On installation I find the pulley on the front of the crankshaft just spins free, it sits in front of the cast steel water pump pulley. There is a plate with 4 bolts through it into the cast pulley. Has anyone had this problem and can I get the cast WP pulley off without taking off the front wheels and lowering the suspension? I ask this so I might know what I am in for before I start taking it apart. I have 45 years working on Dodge Power Wagons but this is one and only tractor. I have attached a couple photos. While i have the shroud off I am replacing an intermittent ign. switch and repairing a broken wire to the fuel sender. The fuel sender looks just like the ones used on my old Dodge Power Wagons. My tractor has 2475.4 hours on it, it does not seem like much but I don't know much about tractors.
Thanks John

Attachments

• DSCN7059.JPG
    DSCN7059.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
  • DSCN7060.JPG
    DSCN7060.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I am new here and looking for answers for a problem on my 1957 Ford Workmaster tractor. My tractor has factory power steering. The PS pump locked up one day and I have now rebuilt the pump with new bearings. On installation I find the pulley on the front of the crankshaft just spins free, it sits in front of the cast steel water pump pulley. There is a plate with 4 bolts through it into the cast pulley. Has anyone had this problem and can I get the cast WP pulley off without taking off the front wheels and lowering the suspension? I ask this so I might know what I am in for before I start taking it apart. I have 45 years working on Dodge Power Wagons but this is one and only tractor. I have attached a couple photos. While i have the shroud off I am replacing an intermittent ign. switch and repairing a broken wire to the fuel sender. The fuel sender looks just like the ones used on my old Dodge Power Wagons. My tractor has 2475.4 hours on it, it does not seem like much but I don't know much about tractors.
Thanks John
That pulley has a wood-drift key and it likely to have sheared

I appreciate the response but I have the front pulley off the tractor and it is a 2 piece stamped pulley bolted to the cast crankshaft hub. I am not sure what is supposed to keep them locked together but the front one spins freely. I found a replacement one piece cast pully that will bolt to the crank hub. It will arrive in a couple days and I will see if it works. Removing it was not as much trouble as I expected. The crank hub is splined to the front of the crank. I will post the results so others that run into this problems can learn from my experience.
Thanks John

Is there a slot lengthwise along the shaft that the pulley came off of? Likewise, is there a slot on the inside of the hole in the middle of the pulley? If so, then a missing woodruff key is the problem. Look close, if the key has sheared as old said might have happened, then the broken pieces might still be in the slots making the slots hard to see.

I appreciate the response but I have the front pulley off the tractor and it is a 2 piece stamped pulley bolted to the cast crankshaft hub. I am not sure what is supposed to keep them locked together but the front one spins freely. I found a replacement one piece cast pully that will bolt to the crank hub. It will arrive in a couple days and I will see if it works. Removing it was not as much trouble as I expected. The crank hub is splined to the front of the crank. I will post the results so others that run into this problems can learn from my experience.
Thanks John
The hub is splined to the crankshaft and if the four bolts holding the pulleys to the hub are removed therein should be the answer to your question!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back