1960 Dexta questions

Rickek

New User
Good Evening,

I have recently received a Fordson Dexta that is running. A few things I've noticed and had questions about. The lift pump is completely bypassed/disconnected, would that be because it was bad and forced air in the system? The preheat function is inoperative, the fuel line is gone that goes to the intake, and the heater plug element is broken when I removed it. I see a couple styles that apparently fit. One is shrouded and one isn't. It surges pretty good at idle, levels out at higher rpm. I have removed the wire filter from the governor to clean, it was hard with dirt. It also doesn't stay in 3/7? gear. I was wondering it if that was a adjustment possibly.

You do have a few problems there but it is over 60 years old and has not been looked after from
what you say.

The fuel lift pump needs sorting, new ones are available, try this site or Agriline in the UK
who will ship.
The heater element and the pipe to it need replacing. Most Dextas need heat and prime to start
in most conditions. This is normal. If it has been started by using an ether based starting
aid, be prepared for major engine work as the use of these products usually causes broken
piston rings and pistons.
There are no adjustments in the gearbox. If you take the four bolts out around the gear sticks
you can remove the levers and check the plungers that hold the selector rails in place. I would
seriously expect your problem is deeper into the gearbox and will involve a triple split and
dismantling, possibly replacing the gear selection rings and even gears.

These are a great little tractor, I worked on them for many years and own a 1960 petrol
version. I have had to replace a bearing in the gearbox on mine, around three years ago, and,
even though I have limited mobility now, managed to do the job with few problems using trolley
jack and workshop crane. Takes time but not that difficult. Little more complicated if it is a
Live Clutch.

Original workshop manuals or reprints are available and would be a good investment.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. I'm hoping the past use of ether didn't cause damage. It seems to run pretty clean once cranked.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back