1960 john deere 404 display engine

Nick Utecht

New User
I have an old john deere 404 engine. It has cut away areas to view the internal parts. They are chrome plated and painted special colors on the inside to show where the intake air was and exhaust and cooling, etc. It looks to be a sales type engine that maybe they used at fairs or shows. I was wondering if they had this at the 1960 Dallas show. Can anyone help me find any information on it, or what its worth? Thanks.-Nick 417-733-3995.
 
I saw a power shift transmission like that on eBay once don't know if it ever sold it was for a new gen tractor to. When I was in college they had a small hesston tractor that was all cut away like that to and then it had electric motors to drive the diffent components
 

I was at the '60 Dallas show but don't remember seeing the engine cut away you mentioned BUT that doesn't indicate it wasn't there. I remember seeing the shiny 4010 spinning around on the revolving platform. I do remember seeing the cutaways at the JD service & sales meetings I attended at Dallas
 
I think it was at National Farm Machinery Show at Louisville. There was a also cut away 730 that toured state fairs back in the day.
 
I saw a cutaway 4020 engine at the Iowa State fair in the 1960's. Furrow magazine used to show cutaway drawings of Waterloo tractors back then too. Do you have any pictures of your engine that you wouldn't mind posting here?
 
I remember when the 8430-8630s came out, the local dealer invited some of his customers to go to Chanute, KS to an introduction to the tractors.

The display was in the National Guard Armory.

There was a cutaway of the engine, hydraulic pump, transmission, axles and planetary gears. All castings were green on the outside, yellow on the inside with all gears, shafts, and edges of the cutaways chromed.

The display was carried in two probably 20 foot van bodies that the sides of each folded out and attached to make one large room.

The van bodies were mounted on two C-65 or 70 Chevy trucks that had the engine replaced with a 4630 engine if I remember right. Cast parts of the engine were green and all stamped parts, valve cover, timing gear cover etc. were chrome plated.

Any body else remember this display?

Jim Knapp
 
MSU's college of Ag Engineering in Farrell Hall has one of the original cut away tractors, if memory serves me it was a 4010. It turned over by an electric motor mounted somewhere in it.
 
Jon Kinzebach (sp?) of Kinze planters and grain carts has one. He took it apart and had everything re-chromed. An electric motor turns it over slowly so you can see everything operate.
Very impressive.
 
Thanks for all the information guys. Here is some pictures. By the way I contacted John Deere and a guy from the Heritage Marketing Division, or some such thing, called me and said they are going to be opening a museum in Waterloo in the spring. He said he would be interested in possible putting it on display but it wouldn't be a primary display. Oh well, we'll see.
a129942.jpg

a129943.jpg

a129944.jpg
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top