1961 farmall m replacement block

your off on the year by about 10 years, but not sure what u are asking? but anyhow with 4 1/8 pistons you have 281 cid. would need to have a better explanation of this block u are talking about. cause if its just a farmall M block slight chance it will have 4 1/8 pistons.

In your other post Slater posted twice that it ..could be a 281 CID. I have to take Slater at his word, seems like a knowledgeable guy on IHs for sure. However, when it comes to ..undocumented.. tractor manufacturers ..wives tales.. nobody can prove a thing. If it is my check book coming out, even though my home state is Kansas it immediately changes to Missouri where their motto is ..The show me state.. Find someone who is a ..tech inspector.. for your local circle track racers. Pay him to ..pump a cylinder.. to get the displacement of it, see link. You, want someone to say ..I think they only made 10 engines like that, you now have an $4000 tractor instead of a $1500 one! Do not count on any verification of that. ; > )
rustred, you missed his first post on the casting code, see 2nd link.
Cylinder displacement check

1st post on subject

It's a 1946 M has casting date on engine 1/17/G that would be 1937 or 1961. Don't think it would be a 1937.

(quoted from post at 16:52:14 08/21/23) Would this be like a 450 engine
and have 4 1/8 pistons and
cam

Only way to know for sure is to pull the head and measure, then pull the cam and measure...

As I said in the other thread, farmers were penny-pinchers. They would not install a full long block unless they absolutely had to. If just the block was broke, that's what got changed. Anything that was re-useable was re-used.

It's a M replacement block only with studs and camshaft bearings, casting number 6943DJ before the 6943 was ground off. Sometimes other numbers were hand stamped in for some reason, maybe if they added extra parts. Never found a sure reason. Replacement probably won't have a engine serial number on block. Block casting 365586R1 found with all three sizes cast on block but same bore. Posted that cast number before seeing the picture of DJ on block. Looking at some info jotted down from past a 365586R1 casting with C-248 on it and date code 7-5-M may be the last one I was in. C-281 on block with a N date code.

ya ok, but u said the M to the 450 head is the same , they are not., they have longer valves.

(quoted from post at 07:53:58 08/22/23) ya ok, but u said the M to the 450 head is the same , they are not., they have longer valves.
gas heads have the same valves. distillate heads have different lengths than gas heads

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back