1962 Ford 641 641 6v negative ground?

77F100

New User
So I just purchased a 1962 Ford 641 it is a great little tractor and did an amazing job brush hogging my field. The tractor is still 6v and starts and runs great but it is set up for 6v negative ground yes I am typing that right. Aren t these supposed to be positive ground for the 6v because I need a new fuel gauge and want to stick with the 6v for now. Through Steiner the only 6v gauge they have is a 6v positive ground. Any and all advise is appreciated.
mvphoto107076.jpg


mvphoto107077.jpg
 
As I recall, the gauge is thermally operated and doesn't care on whit as to polarity.

As to the seller, I'd give it my best shot to find one elsewhere, a N.O.S. unit would be the best!
 
(quoted from post at 03:18:02 06/27/23) I will search for one. Does the polarity not affect anything else
i.e. starter rotation direction?

Starter direction will not change when ground polarity is changed.

On spark ignition engines the coil primary leads get swapped when ground polarity changes.

Negative ground, coil (-) primary terminal post connects to the distributor, positive ground, the coil (+) primary terminal post connects to the distributor.
 
Perhaps it does not matter, (it does not relative to
your question) but the front hood emblem looks to be
that of a 600, not a 601. But I could be wrong. And
perhaps it was changed from the original in the last
60-70 years. Might want to just check your actual
serial number.
 
Having a fuel gauge it is 641 for sure and not a 640 as the 640 didn't have a fuel gauge. It should be positive ground. More than likely someone not
knowing that hooked the battery up backwards. Before I ordered a gauge I would turn the battery around and repolarized it. 50/50 chance it will work
without replacing the regulator.

Do not buy your gauges from Dennis Carpenter. My dad bought a fuel gauge for a 641 from him. Had to send it back four times to get a working gauge.
Carpenter stuck dad with all the return postage on the bad gauges. Over $40!

I would also replace the sending unit in the tank at the same time as it has to match the gauge to work.
 
Good point on the fuel gauge. But just so I am clear in my own mind, the front emblem on that tractor is from a XX0, not a XX1... Correct?
 
(quoted from post at 12:46:18 06/27/23) Having a fuel gauge it is 641 for sure and not a 640 as the 640 didn't have a fuel gauge. It should be positive ground. More than likely someone not
knowing that hooked the battery up backwards. Before I ordered a gauge I would turn the battery around and repolarized it. 50/50 chance it will work
without replacing the regulator.

Do not buy your gauges from Dennis Carpenter. My dad bought a fuel gauge for a 641 from him. Had to send it back four times to get a working gauge.
Carpenter stuck dad with all the return postage on the bad gauges. Over $40!

I would also replace the sending unit in the tank at the same time as it has to match the gauge to work.
lectrics working=leave it alone, or,
0OQIfcz.jpg

or "fix it until it is broke!"
 
(quoted from post at 08:50:19 06/27/23) Perhaps it does not matter, (it does not relative to
your question) but the front hood emblem looks to be
that of a 600, not a 601. But I could be wrong. And
perhaps it was changed from the original in the last
60-70 years. Might want to just check your actual
serial number.
mvphoto107102.jpg
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top