1966 Ford 3000 battery issues

jakesnake66

New User
My dad recently passed away and I inherited a '66 Ford 3000 diesel. It runs very well. However, I've had two batteries die in the past year. The first time Auto Zone replaced the battery under warranty. This time they are resisting. I tend to agree with them that the tractor isn't recharging the battery during operation. Do these tractors have a generator or alternator? What's the best way to troubleshoot this issue? Thank you, Jake

They came with a 22 amp 12 volt neg ground generator with an (external) voltage regulator. Just some simply questions... do the red dash warning lights come on when you turn on the key,,, before you crank over the engine?? (Stop and trouble shoot if they dont.) If they do, then,,, do they go off when the engine starts?? ( if not, stop and trouble shoot.) Have you measured battery voltage when the engine is running at 1000 rpms??? (If not above 13.6 volts, stop and trouble shoot) Does the red light stay on after the key is off? (If so, stop and trouble shoot the vr.)

As has been said, that tractor originally had a 12 volt negative ground system with a generator and an external voltage regulator. That could have been changed at any time over the last 58 years to an alternator. If you cannot tell by looking at it whether it has a generator or an alternator, you need to find someone local who is willing to assist you, whether out of the kindness of their heart, or for cash money. You can post pictures here and we can try to help, but it's better to have someone who knows what they are doing looking directly at the tractor, able to trace wires and see what is connected to what, as there may be some original parts still there that aren't actually connected to anything any longer. It may be something as simple as a wire got disconnected and reconnecting it might solve the problem.

As has been said, that tractor originally had a 12 volt negative ground system with a generator and an external voltage regulator. That could have been changed at any time over the last 58 years to an alternator. If you cannot tell by looking at it whether it has a generator or an alternator, you need to find someone local who is willing to assist you, whether out of the kindness of their heart, or for cash money. You can post pictures here and we can try to help, but it's better to have someone who knows what they are doing looking directly at the tractor, able to trace wires and see what is connected to what, as there may be some original parts still there that aren't actually connected to anything any longer. It may be something as simple as a wire got disconnected and reconnecting it might solve the problem.
VERY sound advice.

Thanks to everyone who has offered such sage advice. I will be back down to the "farm" tomorrow or Saturday, and I will get answers to the excellent questions. I'll also take pics in case they may provide meaningful evidence. Thanks to all! Jake

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back