1967 Farmall 806 D

jameson416

New User
This is a bit of an update on an older topic. Local is selling a Farmall 806, I went the other day and saw it in person, test drove, etc.

This is a truly beautiful and STRONG sounding machine. Easily the most power of any tractor I have ever driven. Started almost instantly, shifted easily, and really surprised me with how well it turned. Every bit as good if not better than my dad's modern JD. I am going to attempt to post some videos/pics again. Still just trying to decide what I would/should actually be willing to pay for this machine. I would never guess that it was 55 years old if I didn't know it. Just absolutely no indication that this thing doesn't have decades of life left, especially for the light/moderate use it will get from me.

One interesting find, the tachometer (working) showed 554 hours. If this thing has been rebuilt, would it be crazy to think that they possibly replaced a non working tach with a new one, and that is the hours since rebuild? I just feel like a working tach so low is a strange find.
[video play=false:b0956fb0f2]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo92424.mp4[/video:b0956fb0f2]

mvphoto92425.jpg

mvphoto92426.jpg

mvphoto92427.jpg

mvphoto92428.jpg

[video play=false:5f4b9aaec0]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo92430.mp4[/video:5f4b9aaec0]

I remember the first 806 we got at the Dealership. The talk was, who needs a tractor that big.
Nothing better than the sound of a D-361 or D-407. When I worked at Deere dealer for a few of my
very last years before retirement, I of course was assigned any IH tractor that came in for work.

If I had one of those running or if anyone had one running, I could not resist just walking over
and giving that arm on the injection pump a little goosing. The Deeres just did not have that
sound. Even the later IH engines , 400 series or CDC did not .

My brother in law, dyed in the wool Deere man since childhood, bought a new 806 Diesel from us
and I can still see the smile on his face when he came to the shop and saw his new tractor sitting
there, just unloaded shortly from the truck. Old Smoky was it's permanent name.

As for the hour meter, it could have been changed at anytime. Most likely after it was done doing
the heavy lifting with that few hours showing. If it is bright and clear it is likely not real
old.

Yup the D36 1and D407 both sound all their own like a 3408 Cat nothing sounds like them either. The quick response of the 361or 407 is fun to see. The Rumble of the 3408 is something to listen to also. Not another engine like them. Got both 806 and 856. The 1466 has a whole different sound.

Nice looking 806. They are a sweet machine. The air pre cleaner threw the hood is
not factory but looks good. Wonder what the extra hole in the hood is for? and the
tach has to have been changed.

Both pictures of left side of tractor show some hose and piping that does not look normal to me. Makes me think it could have a M&W turbo charger installed on it. Video almost sounds like a little whistle can be heard in exhaust.

ah, mine is 450 tractors later, 36884, yes its got a Turbo on it, that hose that on the left side returns the oil that leaks off the turbo bearing,returns it too the oil pan. Has it got a big gauge on it, near the steering wheel, if it does that's a pyrometer , to monitor the exhaust temp!

The plumbing mentioned on the left side looks to me like a tank heater for cold weather starting. The exhaust and the bit of tire looks to me like they were pulling it as maybe a farm stock or such.

Sounds like the owner can't/won't give you the story on the 554 hour tach?

There are signs to look for to tell if the tractor really has 554 hours. For one, there should be barely any wear on the original tires. Just from the glimpses I've seen of the tires on the tractor there is more than 554 hours of wear on them. Drawbar and 3pt wear are also telltale signs. At 554 hours there should be ZERO slop in the 3pt and the drawbar. The drawbar hole should still be perfectly round.

If the tractor is a true 554 hour original, and the owner is asking a dime less than $25000 in this day and age, it's a steal. No, I did not add an extra zero. Twenty-five-thousand dollars minimum.

He doesn't know and I believe that to be true. He purchased it from an estate sale up north and had it shipped here. With as good of condition that it is in, I believe that it's maybe 554 post rebuild/restore. Seemed like there were several tractors in the estate and this one was kind of the old man's toy.

Needless to say, after driving this thing, it sounded/ran like it would run for the next 50 yrs with few problems. My biggest question is am I crazy to pay in the neighborhood of $15k?

My biggest question is am I crazy to pay in the neighborhood of $15k?

That is double what most would bring, that is an expensive engine to overhaul, the turbo charger adds a lot of extra stress to a tractor that was not designed for one, and you said the seller bought it to flip it. For $15K I would want some history and receipts of recent work. 2021 was an outstanding year for farm profits and many farmers are flush with cash to burn, so to seller may get his (crazy) price. It is priced for collectors, if you like the tractor and won't miss the cash there are worse things to spend it on. You won't get close to your money back if you resell it.

Determine your walk away price before negotiating.

I do not believe it is turbocharged. I think it is just a very strong clean sounding engine. I talked to the guy who went with me to look at it and he said the same thing. We didn't "pop the hood" but it didn't have that whistle or anything we could tell.

As for the other, he actually bought to keep. He has the same tractor (just a little older, worse condition) and he bought this one to replace it. Found out that the problems on his weren't as bad as he initially thought, and he is looking to generate some cash to build a house.

As best either of us know, this thing was extremely well taken care of and runs incredibly strong. He's owned it for almost a year, after purchasing from an estate sale, where it had sat and only been run once or twice a month (for engine maintenance) for the previous 5 years.

I have no idea either why that hole is there,that's about where the Turbo sits,but that hole look cut not burnt in there, i am at a loss also!!

For clarity. If I buy it, it is with the intention to keep, so resell value is less of a factor as good condition/longevity. However, I don't wanna make an overall bad business decision either. And this just isn't an area of expertise for me

I wish I had never sold my 806, but I would not pay that kind of money for another one either. I get the impression you already have your mind made up to buy it.

I gave 6500 for mine with a loader and it is turboed. Have owned it for about 8 years and all I've had to do is replace a radiator. Wouldnt trade it

That is a tank heater on left side of engine. Also, look at the air intake into the cylinder head .
That looks to be from a Turbo charger like a 1206. A natural aspirated 806 has a different style
intake with large rubber hose to air cleaner and not that pipe that goes back over top of engine to
turbo.

All those engines have the intake manifold cast right into the head so only an adaptor is used to
hook onto air cleaner.

Also, the oil return from turbo would be on the other side of the engine.

Yeah, the turbo return line is next to the dipstick,for the M@W Turbo, and the turbo supply line is on the left. But my tank heater is on the right side because the the Radiator drain is on the lower right corner of the tractor, so i put the Tank heater there to make it simple! Pete, maybe that does have the Solar Turbo then!

(quoted from post at 11:19:54 05/24/22) I wish I had never sold my 806, but I would not pay that kind of money for another one either. I get the impression you already have your mind made up to buy it.

Yes and no. I have my mind made up that it seems like a well cared for/great condition old tractor, that I would love to have, and feel like would last for the rest of my lifetime. Bcz of its age and condition, I've had a very hard time finding anything comparable as a true "guide" on how much to spend. It seems that most opinions have either been on the side of

"Great condition, buy it"
Or
"I wouldn't pay half of what he's asking"

He seems to think he can get closer to $20 in an auction. Based on what I've seen, including one that was in pretty good condition just auctioned a week ago for $6800. I'm hoping he'll negotiate a bit, bcz I think it's a good find, that I would definitely have trouble finding again in the south (most everything is JD). Again, after seeing this thing, and the way the market is, there's no way in hell I would take less than $10 if I were in his shoes. I just don't know that anyone has given me great reassurance that I should feel comfortable at $15

I bought mine in 1978 about 10 years after they were last made for 7500.00 I would not pay more than about 4500-5000 of an 806 or an 856 at this time. I just bought My 856 from my brother for what he paid for it about 5 years ago and that was 3000.00 for it. I like those models very well but will not pay big money for such old iron. An 806 is pushing 55 years old now and an 856 is in the 50 year old range. I would not even pay that much for a 1466. I can remember when around here if a dealer took a 14or 1568 in on trade he had to just about give them away nobody wanted one.

(quoted from post at 21:30:06 05/24/22) I bought mine in 1978 about 10 years after they were last made for 7500.00 I would not pay more than about 4500-5000 of an 806 or an 856 at this time. I just bought My 856 from my brother for what he paid for it about 5 years ago and that was 3000.00 for it. I like those models very well but will not pay big money for such old iron. An 806 is pushing 55 years old now and an 856 is in the 50 year old range. I would not even pay that much for a 1466. I can remember when around here if a dealer took a 14or 1568 in on trade he had to just about give them away nobody wanted one.

I get it, and if you're of the opinion that "they're just too old" then that is probably pretty accurate I'd say. However, if they will continue to run and are as reliable as some say, that's not touching one in good shape. I was thinking like you when I started looking, but you aren't getting in one in any kind of decent condition in that price range, it's just unrealistic. Not saying it's worth 3x that by any means, just that I haven't seen anyone selling (or recently sold) 100hp, in good to great condition under atleast $9k. But you're totally correct, 55yrs is a long time. Who knows how long they'll last for really?

1206 are popular with muscle tractor collectors. $15K would be in the 1206 price range. 1256, 1456, 1066 and 1466 sell much lower.

I have been watchinglarger tractors sell lately and they've made HUGE comeback in price if they are good usable condition. 15 years ago a 1466/1486 was in the $5000 to $8000 range. Now if its running those
tractors are starting at $10,000 and up. A couple weeks ago I watch a nice looking 886 (with a good cab) bring $13,000. The next tractor looked just like but was a 1086 with a good loader - it was $16,000.

My son claims a guy followed him into the field and offered him $10,000 for our 706 (newly painted, and lots of small work done to it with good tires). We bought that tractor 2 years ago looking kind of rough
for $4500.

On the other end we just picked up a Massey 1130 with a loader for $4000 - and its looking like a really good running tractor after we finished all the small repairs (parking paw, brakes, steering rod ends,
clogged hydraulic filters, shifter repair).

Below are pictures that I saved from internet showing comparisons of 806 and 1206 tractors. Perhaps they can help determine what engine is in the tractor being discussed. I'm leaning toward a turbo unit from a 1206 being retro-fitted to the 806 or possibly an entire engine swap, along with hood from a 1206.
The air intake into the cylinder head of the engine is definitely style used in turbo 1206 361 cu. in. engine. The hood of the tractor has above-the-hood pre-screener, which 806 did not have, and the hole is in proper location for the pre-screener/intake pipe, which 1206 did have. The exhaust pipe is through the hood in a hole that is located and shaped just like a 1206 hood which has the hole opening partially in the downward radius bend of the curve of the hood sheet metal. 806 exhaust is totally within the flat on top of the hood. Also 806 hole appears to be more forward and 1206 hole more rearward. Air cleaner access openings are different on 806 and 1206 also.
The last two pictures below are of an 806 with M & W turbo charger installation.
As to the other hole that is in the left center of the hood ridge, I have no idea.

cvphoto126725.jpg

cvphoto126726.jpg

cvphoto126727.jpg

cvphoto126728.jpg

cvphoto126729.jpg

cvphoto126730.jpg

cvphoto126731.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back