1968 Ford 3000 Diesel Idle Speed.

Lew565

I had the fuel injection pump rebuilt on my 1968 Ford 3000 Diesel and ever since the idle speed has been too high. Now it idles at about 1150 RMP which makes it difficult to slowly back up to an implement for hook up. I have adjusted the large idle bolt just below the Fuel Injection pump but found no change. As best I can tell the linkage is OK. As a last resort I cut the security cable on the Fuel Injection Idle screw, but after loosening the lock nut I still found that screw very hard to turn and therefore did not turn it very much
for fear it would break. I would really appreciate any suggestions from the forum about how to remedy this problem as well what a reasonable idle speed would be. Thank y ou in advance for your comments. Sincerely, Lew Francis

Did you disconnect the throttle rod first? That MAY Abe holding the stop cam away from the idle screw anyway. Trouble could be the rod does not go forward enough with control lever at idle, why I disconnect the rod to check the stop screws.

Thank you so much DieselTech for your response to my post. NO, I did not disconnect the throttle rod first. But I will and try it again. Thank you again, this is the second time this month you have helped me and I really do appreciate your expertise. If I might impose on your further, do you have a suggestion about what a reasonable idle speed should be? Lew Francis

By adjusting the length of the throttle rod linkage you might have a problem with the wot speed on it. If it will not pull or push the throttle lever enough to attain high end rpms.

Thank you Caterpillar Guy, I will keep that in mind as I look at the linkage. I appreciate your response. Lew Francis

Just want to thank Dieseltech again for your advice. After following your suggestion Ol Blue (my 1968 Ford 3000 Diesel) now purrs like a kiten with an idle speed of 700 RMPs.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back