1968 Ford 3400 wheels facing in different directions

dewyatt

New User
This is my Dad's tractor. He said he never bothered putting any power steering fluid in the thing because it would always squirt out of the steering column. It has the power steering pump mounted below the generator on the left hand side, and the steering column as pictured (assuming there are multiple configurations).

Now at some point things (unsurprisingly) worsened and we have one wheel facing straight and another in some other direction.
I have seen videos+posts on fixing the seal leak at the column, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what needs to be done to get the wheels facing the same direction.

Any help would be appreciated!
mvphoto95936.jpg

mvphoto95937.jpg

mvphoto95938.jpg

This post was edited by dewyatt on 08/15/2022 at 02:56 pm.

I just bought a similar vintage Ford and it has the same 2 problems. Wheels point inward when backing up, and power steering fluid squirts out of the column. I have only owned the tractor for for 3 days, but what I am deciding on is the fluid squirting indicates the steering column needs to have the o-rings replaced. The wheels pointing incorrectly on mine means I have to replace the ball joints and tie rod ends.

(quoted from post at 11:23:25 08/16/22) Looks like your steering gears are broken.

It turns out the whole housing is broken. I haven't made it to the gears yet.

mvphoto96435.jpg

mvphoto96436.jpg

I can't find this exact housing (by Cam Gears Ltd). In parts diagrams I see D6NN3548D but that has some subtle differences from the pictures I've seen. Does anyone know anything about this?

(Also does anyone have this housing for sale?)

This post was edited by dewyatt on 08/24/2022 at 02:41 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back