1971-74 Case 1370 good, bad and ugly?

Hey All,

What's your guys' thoughts on the case 1370 as a baling tractor and for field work? I already got a 60hp 3pt hitch tractor with a FEL for moving bales and yardwork so I was thinking of buying this one for baling and hay work as a work horse. I heard they shift hard, but I don't mind as I enjoy the case powershift. I had a 2390 and loved it. Biggest things I've read for this 1370 is do regular tranny oil changes. for example the case 2390 power shift would pile up if you didn't change the tranny oil every 200hrs. which is fine. And I also read that the cabs are loud, but I'm sure I can use some rubber weather stripping liner/silicone seals on the doors and windows to help with the noise.

Also I was wondering if I can turn up the fuel pump. The one I'm looking at is the desert tan so 1971-74 version and I guess the major difference between it and the white 1370s is a higher idle in the newer ones. Also something with the brakes and 10 more hp? Curious if I can just turn up the fuel to make it the same. Since they are both under rated from factory. Read somewhere they were closer to 175 pto hp rather than 155 pto hp.

TIA

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Check it before you turn it up, most of those come from the factory with near 200 hp. As to turn it up, yes you can, they will run at 200 hp all day without issue. The cab is a bit more noisy, but not tank worse than any other brand that vintage. If you had a 2390, the 1370 is very similar in most ways so you know what your getting.

Hey All,

What's your guys' thoughts on the case 1370 as a baling tractor and for field work? I already got a 60hp 3pt hitch tractor with a FEL for moving bales and yardwork so I was thinking of buying this one for baling and hay work as a work horse. I heard they shift hard, but I don't mind as I enjoy the case powershift. I had a 2390 and loved it. Biggest things I've read for this 1370 is do regular tranny oil changes. for example the case 2390 power shift would pile up if you didn't change the tranny oil every 200hrs. which is fine. And I also read that the cabs are loud, but I'm sure I can use some rubber weather stripping liner/silicone seals on the doors and windows to help with the noise.

Also I was wondering if I can turn up the fuel pump. The one I'm looking at is the desert tan so 1971-74 version and I guess the major difference between it and the white 1370s is a higher idle in the newer ones. Also something with the brakes and 10 more hp? Curious if I can just turn up the fuel to make it the same. Since they are both under rated from factory. Read somewhere they were closer to 175 pto hp rather than 155 pto hp.

TIA
1370 is nothing like a 2390 to operate. 1370 is a higher hp tractor but much like a 1070 in the way it operates.. has only 1000 pto. shift harder than a 90 series. cab is much louder than 90 series. the rear ends are what are the week link in the 1370 as I understand it has the same rear end and more hp to rip it apart. around here no one buys the 1370. 1070 and 970 will sell. I have no issue with the 1370 just use it without using all the hp it has and it will last. for baling it is fine as you can run 16-1800 rpm and still make good bales with a fraction of the fuel. changing trans oil that often is maybe over kill but I would think changing filters more often might be better. I think if you have to much hp on a light rear end is where the problems came from more than oil getting dirty. you drive it like it has 200 hp that rear end can't handle it. I understand thy have the same rear end as the 970 and they never blow up.

1370 is nothing like a 2390 to operate. 1370 is a higher hp tractor but much like a 1070 in the way it operates.. has only 1000 pto. shift harder than a 90 series. cab is much louder than 90 series. the rear ends are what are the week link in the 1370 as I understand it has the same rear end and more hp to rip it apart. around here no one buys the 1370. 1070 and 970 will sell. I have no issue with the 1370 just use it without using all the hp it has and it will last. for baling it is fine as you can run 16-1800 rpm and still make good bales with a fraction of the fuel. changing trans oil that often is maybe over kill but I would think changing filters more often might be better. I think if you have to much hp on a light rear end is where the problems came from more than oil getting dirty. you drive it like it has 200 hp that rear end can't handle it. I understand thy have the same rear end as the 970 and they never blow up.

The early 1370 did not have piston cooling jets in the engine. 160 to 170 would be enough power. Put a exhaust temp gage on and keep it below 1000 degrees. There is a lot of noise and heat transfer from the engine direct into the cab. Figure a way to seal the firewall and you will make the cab very livable. I have used the expanding foam. A new cab kit will make a big improvement also. The 1370 is one of my fave Case tractors.
there is nothing in common between a 970 and a 1370 other than the Case name. The late 1370 and the 2390 are almost the same tractor. There were some updates on the 1370 during production. These could all be added to any 1370. I had a early 1370 set at 170. It just run all day with no complaints. I had a later 1370 Set at 220. I and my son were the only ones allowed to run it. I run it over 10 years and it never let me down.

The early 1370 did not have piston cooling jets in the engine. 160 to 170 would be enough power. Put a exhaust temp gage on and keep it below 1000 degrees. There is a lot of noise and heat transfer from the engine direct into the cab. Figure a way to seal the firewall and you will make the cab very livable. I have used the expanding foam. A new cab kit will make a big improvement also. The 1370 is one of my fave Case tractors.

there is nothing in common between a 970 and a 1370 other than the Case name. The late 1370 and the 2390 are almost the same tractor. There were some updates on the 1370 during production. These could all be added to any 1370. I had an early 1370 set at 170. It just run all day with no complaints. I had a later 1370 Set at 220. I and my son were the only ones allowed to run it. I run it over 10 years and it never let me down.
Thanks for the info

I am recalling that the tan 1370 had a snap ring inside the powershift that caused much more disassembly to remove to rebuild powershift, I think, than the later white (I believe that this was all desert tan 70 series) Furthermore, as far as rear end goes, there was an issue early on and I think maybe a recall as to the oil level being too low and several gallons extra oil needed added or rear end suffered. This was a problem in 1570 tractors early on and I want to say also early 1370 but I might be incorrect in that the oil level issue was confined to 1570 only. However, this issue would further describe the rear end issue. Next was I believe that there is a shaft inside the transmission and for pto operation the powershift must not remain in reverse while pto is engaged. Keep in mind the difference from 70 to 90 series is also the change from open center to closed center hydraulics. consider if these features are going to affect your use requirements of the tractor

Check it before you turn it up, most of those come from the factory with near 200 hp. As to turn it up, yes you can, they will run at 200 hp all day without issue. The cab is a bit more noisy, but not tank worse than any other brand that vintage. If you had a 2390, the 1370 is very similar in most ways so you know what your getting.
as in checking it you mean see if theres any blow by, or pressure on the rad for a leaking head gasket?

there is nothing in common between a 970 and a 1370 other than the Case name. The late 1370 and the 2390 are almost the same tractor. There were some updates on the 1370 during production. These could all be added to any 1370. I had a early 1370 set at 170. It just run all day with no complaints. I had a later 1370 Set at 220. I and my son were the only ones allowed to run it. I run it over 10 years and it never let me down.
ok perfect.

So keep er lower than 200. Got it. Yeah spray foam works damn good. Ill have to do that when i buy it. Wow! 220 hp is alot of juice! Ive always had a soft spot for case thats why i really wanna pull the trigger on this one.

I am recalling that the tan 1370 had a snap ring inside the powershift that caused much more disassembly to remove to rebuild powershift, I think, than the later white (I believe that this was all desert tan 70 series) Furthermore, as far as rear end goes, there was an issue early on and I think maybe a recall as to the oil level being too low and several gallons extra oil needed added or rear end suffered. This was a problem in 1570 tractors early on and I want to say also early 1370 but I might be incorrect in that the oil level issue was confined to 1570 only. However, this issue would further describe the rear end issue. Next was I believe that there is a shaft inside the transmission and for pto operation the powershift must not remain in reverse while pto is engaged. Keep in mind the difference from 70 to 90 series is also the change from open center to closed center hydraulics. consider if these features are going to affect your use requirements of the tractor
with my 2390 i know the pto and reverse couldnt be engauged as it would drop the oil level to low and ruin the internals. So very similar. Other than the color and minor snap ring locations and disasembly it sounds pretty similar! Ill make sure i add extra oil just in case.

with my 2390 i know the pto and reverse couldnt be engauged as it would drop the oil level to low and ruin the internals. So very similar. Other than the color and minor snap ring locations and disasembly it sounds pretty similar! Ill make sure i add extra oil just in case.
The only issue with the pto is STATIONARY pto work with the powershift in reverse. It does not hurt anything to back up with the pto engaged. Those tractors work well with snow bloweds and round balers. There is a lot of inaccurate info in this post.

as in checking it you mean see if theres any blow by, or pressure on the rad for a leaking head gasket?
Check the hp, most of thise put out significantly more than rated hp. I would not be surprised to see it putting outb180-200 hp.

Sorry for being inaccurate, I mentioned a pto issue while powershift is in reverse; I apparently mis spoke/misworded my information. I do not claim to have fully capable knowledge and/or input within this discussion, It is merely a concern to admire while planning to own/operate these tractors. This information is from memory of experience; I didn't build the thing. I am reasonably certain whoever designed this 50 year old tractor is likely no longer with us. If the information is wrong then I apologize, I am just going from experience. I have not even come close to dismantling every single desert tan case to examine so my input based on real life scenarios is nothing more than speculative recollection. GOOD DAY.

The 12/13/1570s have significantly heavier duty rear ends than 9/1070. Guys had rear end problems with the smaller ones when they added turbos.
With the 90 series they kept a lighter 2090 rear end when they moved up to the 2290 but the 23/2590s had heavy duty ones.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back