1971 Ford 3500 What are these things??

Slowly but surely sorting out my 1971 3500 backhoe, thanks in no small part to the people on this site. Unbelievable amount of information here. Thanks to everyone's help I have the machine moving and working now, not perfect but she's certainly getting there.

3 questions today, things I cannot identify (pictures attached). There's a 2 wire switch just to the left of the transmission shift lever, sending unit of some sort?

Just forward of the operators seat, there's a 2 lever control of some sort. Looks like individual valves with nothing plumbed in or out, I assume this is some sort of an auxiliary and maybe I can just remove it?

On the right side of the operator seat, there's a small quarter inch diameter rod, with a 90 handle at the top. Appears that it is supposed to be moved up-and-down, it's currently stuck, but I have not been able to determine its purpose?

Apologize for the 20 questions, I know they just keep coming, but what I cannot find on the internet has been answered here every single time and I greatly appreciate that!

mvphoto108710.jpg

mvphoto108713.jpg
mvphoto108714.jpg

(quoted from post at 15:28:24 08/19/23) Slowly but surely sorting out my 1971 3500 backhoe, thanks in no small part to the people on this site. Unbelievable amount of information here. Thanks to everyone's help I have the machine moving and working now, not perfect but she's certainly getting there.

3 questions today, things I cannot identify (pictures attached). There's a 2 wire switch just to the left of the transmission shift lever, sending unit of some sort? [color=red:f1c0234bf7]Neutral Safety Switch[/color:f1c0234bf7].

Just forward of the operators seat, there's a 2 lever control of some sort. Looks like individual valves with nothing plumbed in or out, I assume this is some sort of an auxiliary and maybe I can just remove it? [color=red:f1c0234bf7]Auxiliary Hydraulics capped off. Looks like an aerosol can holder attached to the valve body. Raid can for when you hit a yellow jacket nest.[/color:f1c0234bf7]

On the right side of the operator seat, there's a small quarter inch diameter rod, with a 90 handle at the top. Appears that it is supposed to be moved up-and-down, it's currently stuck, but I have not been able to determine its purpose? [color=red:f1c0234bf7]Might be attached to your brake linkage. Your park brake to the right of it is missing. Maybe the rod is a farmer substitute.[/color:f1c0234bf7]

Apologize for the 20 questions, I know they just keep coming, but what I cannot find on the internet has been answered here every single time and I greatly appreciate that!

mvphoto108710.jpg

mvphoto108713.jpg
mvphoto108714.jpg
This post was edited by Check Break on 08/19/2023 at 03:37 pm.

Ha ha, ..aerosol can holder.. could be, but actually that
is an automotive cup holder. Back before manufactures
designed cup holders into vehicles that is what you
went with. On old cars the top of the door below the
window was thicker than they are now. That lip that is
sticking down between the two valve blocks shoved
down between the window and the inner door wiper
seal. Bingo cup holder, you just did not slam the door
to hard with a full cup in there or you had mess. Tod
how old are you? Common knowledge to me at 61.

We use them to hold a can of RAID or brake clean to knock the wasps and yellow jackets out of the air on the OROPS dozers. There's no where to hide when you hit a nest.

LOL!! I'm 61 years old, so excuse the improper photo technique, LOL! I knew what the cup holder was, it's the auxiliary valves I had guessed at. Now that it's confirmed they are just auxiliary, I have no use for them, is there any reason I can't just remove them?

OK guys, joke is on me, LOL. Looking at the picture of the auxiliary valves I was DISTINCTLY pointing at the cup holder! Yes, I knew what the cup holder was, LOL, and now it's verified that they are simply auxiliary valves, can I remove them? I guessed at the neutral safety switch, thanks for the verification, I think I will test it and see if it works and maybe put it back in line to the switch. Hmm.. I do see now where that parking brake lever is supposed to lock into place, I'll do a little more investigation and see if that's what it's attached to.

Unless the hydraulic control valve is in your way you might want to leave it if you ever want to hook up anything using hydraulics. If you unbolt it be sure the lift is down or you will have a gusher.
Neutral switch is a must have in my opinion, I guess Henry Ford's also since it's one of the few safety feature on his first tractors.
Parking brake parts should be available used, and the other safety feature from the start. The pawls wear and I found new ones on ebay shipped from India.

Awesome, thank you.. and yes, I'm going to test the neutral safety switch in the morning. Is it supposed to interrupt the power from the battery feeding the Ignition or just the 12v that goes to the solenoid in the start position?

(quoted from post at 17:18:17 08/20/23)
Awesome, thank you.. and yes, I'm going to test the neutral safety switch in the morning. Is it supposed to interrupt the power from the battery feeding the Ignition or just the 12v that goes to the solenoid in the start position?

12v to the start solenoid.

(quoted from post at 20:18:17 08/20/23)

It is in line between the key switch and the starter solenoid.

Unless they arent operational at all and cant find repair parts, or you have some special situation for the tractor use, why would you want to remove the hyd valves?
One of the reasons to have a tractor is to make life easier, and hydraulic power on implements makes life lots easier. Im confused why one would consider removing
one of the most important features of a tractor these days.

I spend years or big bucks to have 2 sets of ports on tractors I use these days, one is hardly enough.....

Maybe sleep on this a bit and think it over?

Paul

This tractor was purchased to be a backhoe and nothing else, I do have a MF202 that is set up with regular 3 point and has an auxiliary set of valves. I've actually never used them and will soon sell that tractor.

I'll likely leave them but to answer your question, my knees don't work like they used to and those valves impede movement when climbing on/off the tractor or rotating the seat to face backward for the backhoe.

That's a distinct possibility, I had not considered that but I'll definitely look in the morning. Thank you for the idea!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back