1978 IHC Grain Truck

lenray

A fella has a 1978 IHC single axle grain hauling truck. He says it has a 6 cylinder diesel engine and it is a 344.....Did they make a 344 diesel engine for the 1978 trucks??????

The very common IH Diesel 6 cylinder was a DT466. Before the turbo and injection technology they have today a 344 CID diesel as far as use for an engine in a 2 ton truck wouldn’t pull the hat off your head.
Here is a link to IH truck engine “family tree”
IHC truck engines
345, 392 and 401 were the common gas V8 engines.

Better ad the 445. On occasion the 549 engines in some of the older gassers with tandems around here. The 466 diesel was a gutless wonder for anything bigger than a single axle truck.

"Gutless wonder " was standard operating procedure in farm trucks in 1978.
3208 Cat, 8.2 and 6-71 Detroit,237 Mack...all slugs. A ten wheeler with a 350
Cummins was a racecar back then. LOL

A fella has a 1978 IHC single axle grain hauling truck. He says it has a 6 cylinder diesel engine and it is a 344.....Did they make a 344 diesel engine for the 1978 trucks??????
This is taxing my memory. I think my IH 2050A Fleetstar was a 1978, last year for that series. Single axle, air brakes, 210 HP factory DT466. Many didn't believe it was factory, but it was. Maybe it was kind of experimental, as the driveline wasn't heavy enough for that engine. The guy I ran with had Louisvilles with 3208's and ten speeds. If I was behind one of them on a hill, I passed them going up the hill.

This is taxing my memory. I think my IH 2050A Fleetstar was a 1978, last year for that series. Single axle, air brakes, 210 HP factory DT466. Many didn't believe it was factory, but it was. Maybe it was kind of experimental, as the driveline wasn't heavy enough for that engine. The guy I ran with had Louisvilles with 3208's and ten speeds. If I was behind one of them on a hill, I passed them going up the hill.
You passed them going uphill… was he changing a tire or something?
I have a ‘79 S2550 and I never passed anyone unless they were trying to make a left turn at an intersection.
We got from Erie Paving, who ordered it with a 466. It had so much asphalt in the radiator that the shutters didn’t work anymore. They ran that thing hard … the welds were cracked where the covers were welded over the differentials; had to dig a pit in the yard so I could stand up and fix the forward axle.
I think the 466 is one of the best engines out there … just doesn’t have enough power for that tandem.

Brother in law had an early 60's 1 1/2 ton IHC with a 304 gas engine in it. Still have the frame and bed as a dump trailer. Worked for an IH dealer in the early 80's and heard about a local trucking company with IH V8-300 engine. there was a section in the IH service manual, but never saw one in person.

By 1978 the "MV" gas v8s were out. The 404 and the 446. Also the DT 466 diesel which is most likely what you have been talking a bout. I have never heard of a 344 in diesel or gas. 304 gas V8, yes. Been trucking with one in my Loadstar since 1984.

Brother in law had an early 60's 1 1/2 ton IHC with a 304 gas engine in it. Still have the frame and bed as a dump trailer. Worked for an IH dealer in the early 80's and heard about a local trucking company with IH V8-300 engine. there was a section in the IH service manual, but never saw one in person.
Was questioning my memory so did some research on the IH v8-300 diesel. Otherwise known as DVT-573 in 240 and 260 HP. Not a popular engine in the early 70's. Did Fleet maintenance for a local farmers coop and had over 20 trucks with DT466 engines from A models up to the electronic. Tough simple engines that worked well up to about 40K GVW. On fertilizer tender trucks after the cab rotted away could pull the engine and transplant into the next truck that needed one.

You passed them going uphill… was he changing a tire or something?
I have a ‘79 S2550 and I never passed anyone unless they were trying to make a left turn at an intersection.
We got from Erie Paving, who ordered it with a 466. It had so much asphalt in the radiator that the shutters didn’t work anymore. They ran that thing hard … the welds were cracked where the covers were welded over the differentials; had to dig a pit in the yard so I could stand up and fix the forward axle.
I think the 466 is one of the best engines out there … just doesn’t have enough power for that tandem.
Ha Ha. No, he was busy shifting, and whipping that kitty cat.

Was questioning my memory so did some research on the IH v8-300 diesel. Otherwise known as DVT-573 in 240 and 260 HP. Not a popular engine in the early 70's. Did Fleet maintenance for a local farmers coop and had over 20 trucks with DT466 engines from A models up to the electronic. Tough simple engines that worked well up to about 40K GVW. On fertilizer tender trucks after the cab rotted away could pull the engine and transplant into the next truck that needed one.
Interesting. I carried 14000# on the front axle and 24000# on the rear. Truck weighed 14000# empty and payload was 24000#.

IH used a 301 IHC diesel starting in 1956 B-160's. Then in the 60's after fazing the 301 out they used 354 Perkins in some models of medium duty trucks. Both straight 6's....James

NEW INFO...Owner says the engine is a 360 IHC Diesel..............what you guys say???? in a single axle dump truck....

IH used a 301 IHC diesel starting in 1956 B-160's. Then in the 60's after fazing the 301 out they used 354 Perkins in some models of medium duty trucks. Both straight 6's....James
I had an International with a Perkins in it.It had been used to deliver dairy products to stores,(not milk) they had different bodied trucks for that.I bought it to haul a tag trailer around instead of using a ton truck.It wasn't heavy enough to put a dump body on.A friend had a Transtar with what he called a DV 550 in it.Said it was gutless,but hauled a trailer around for two years without putting a wrench on it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back