1980 ford 4600 steering box leak

985johnm

New User
I have a 1980-81 ford 4600 tractor. It has a power steering box leak that weaps fluid at the base of the box. If you look at an exploded view of the column its part number 41, it looks like a freeze plug from the outside and has a seal #42 behind it.
i have called several tractor place. My many conversations I learned there were two different (bolts)for lack of a better term, used by ford here. One was threaded and one pressed in place. Mine is smooth so I'm guessing pressed in.
1. How do I get it out?
2.is #42 on diagram a simple O-ring?
3. Is there any other fix?
I love my tractor but any leak annoys me please help.

I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that #42 o-ring is all you need to fix the leak, which, coming from any other company other than NH, should be less than a few dollars.

The bad news is that the plug, #41, comes out from the INSIDE of the box. This means pretty much a complete disassembly of the box is required to get that plug out. Even worse, typical repair alternatives for this issue, such as silicone or JB Weld smeared on the outside, will not work here, since that plug is under the max pressure that box will typically see (over 1000 PSI).

The picture in the parts book is deceiving - it does not show the shoulder on the inner side of the pin. The pin acts as a guide stud for the piston so it does not rotate in the bore.

Can I drill and tap case put a plate behind it? How thick is the case? Are there any fluid journals one the casting left and right of plug? Right now the fluid comes out as a slow weap doesn't seem to be under much pressure

I wouldn't be doing any drilling in that area - you'll likely bore straight through into the cylinder wall, and then it will be game over. I can't give you a thickness on that casting, but regardless, I would not do it.

I don't see any other way around your problem other than to bite the bullet and fix it right, or live with the leak. You say that the oil is not under any kind of pressure, but it will be if you try to cap it.

The reason I say this is because there's really nothing you can do on the outside to stop this leak, short of welding the casting, and that would be tough, given the angle it sits at and the oil in the area. I suppose you could try JB Weld, but I highly doubt you'd be successful. Silicone would be a total waste of your time.

I misunderstood you - I thought you were looking for a rebuilt box.

The part number you supplied appears to be correct, although I did not see a breakdown of the parts when I looked at it. The one I saw however looked pretty complete.

I had a 4600 leaking and thought I'd tackle it. After lots of work and some parts I wound up having to replace he whole casting assy. Only one I
could find was via the dealer for $2k. When I sold the tractor not long after that I just tacked that on to the price I was going to take for it. Sold
it, no problem. Lucked out on that.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back