1989 ford f150

sparkplug

Member
it's a farm truck with a straight six EFI motor. when it's driven on the road, once and a while it will just die and won't start till it cools down for a while. whats the problem? fuel, electrical? help! i need it goin strong for spring so i can do some work with it.
 
I had a Ford car with 302 that did similar sporatic not running issues. Left it at the mechanic till it acted up, and he automatically replaced the crank sensor, even though it was a sensor on the distributor that tested as bad. Something to look at. Greg
 
My first bet would be the ignition modual. I think it's right inside the fender on the drivers side towards the cab. Maybe I'm thinking of another part that gave me troubles with my truck. Mine's an 88 F150 w/ the same 6 cyl. EFI controlled engine.

Donovan from Wisconsin
 
More than likely the TFI module(ignition mod.)located on side of distributor.

Check to see if you lose spark when it acts up.Good indication of a bad TFI.~brad
 
I had a 1986 F150 with the same motor that would do the exact same thing. It was the fuel pump. Mine was a manual fuel pump mounted on the side of the engine. I did not discover it until I had replace everything in the electronic ignition.
The next time it does that pore water directly on the fuel pump and then see if it will start back up. Old trick my Dad taught me many years a go.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top