1998 dresser td8h

daltonbarnes

New User
I have a 1998 dresser td8h. Runs great and strong as can be for 30-45 minutes and then I am losing power to the tracks under load once the machine gets hot. Any tips on where to start? Thanks!

(quoted from post at 00:28:24 10/08/21) I have a 1998 dresser td8h. Runs great and strong as can be for 30-45 minutes and then I am losing power to the tracks under load once the machine gets hot. Any tips on where to start? Thanks!

Losing power to the tracks sounds to me like you mean the engine continues to run up to speed, doesn't lug down, but the drive line seems to be slipping. To diagnose that I would say you need the manuals for it and then start pressure testing the driveline components. Could be a weak convertor, pump, clutch pack, valve needing adjustment, etc. Is power loss the same forward or reverse? Any change in the steering from cold to hot? When was the last time filters/screens were changed/cleaned?

(quoted from post at 04:51:07 10/08/21)
(quoted from post at 00:28:24 10/08/21) I have a 1998 dresser td8h. Runs great and strong as can be for 30-45 minutes and then I am losing power to the tracks under load once the machine gets hot. Any tips on where to start? Thanks!

Losing power to the tracks sounds to me like you mean the engine continues to run up to speed, doesn't lug down, but the drive line seems to be slipping. To diagnose that I would say you need the manuals for it and then start pressure testing the driveline components. Could be a weak convertor, pump, clutch pack, valve needing adjustment, etc. Is power loss the same forward or reverse? Any change in the steering from cold to hot? When was the last time filters/screens were changed/cleaned?
correct. Motor doesnt lug down. And only notice the loss of power when pushing so it would be hard to tell if also in reverse. Plan on pulling it apart and changing screens and such today. I actually left it parked on my trailer last night and this morning noticed a small puddle of trans fluid. So maybe a leak could have something to do with it??

You are going in the right direction by cleaning the screens but I doubt if that is the problem, when the oil warms up it is thinner and would get through the screens easier than when cold, repair the leak as it could be drawing air, at this point a pressure check on the charge pump would be my next move, I don't remember if it has a gauge for the tranny pressure if not hook one up as it can save a lot of work
AJ

(quoted from post at 11:19:20 10/10/21) You are going in the right direction by cleaning the screens but I doubt if that is the problem, when the oil warms up it is thinner and would get through the screens easier than when cold, repair the leak as it could be drawing air, at this point a pressure check on the charge pump would be my next move, I don't remember if it has a gauge for the tranny pressure if not hook one up as it can save a lot of work
AJ

I pulled the belly pan and the hose between the screen and pump had a hole in it. Was leaking pretty good. No pressure gauge only a transmission filter light which has flickered a few times since I changed the hose.

I would look at the filter and examine it for any debris, if a clutch has worn out the oil can smell like burned out brake pads, when you repair the leak, clean the screen see how go, the pressure from the charge pump is critical to engage the clutch, if the pressure is low the bite on the discs is not enough and the clutch will slip, if you got the book look up how to do a pressure test.
AJ

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back