2-135 over/under or clutch

rrlund

This is going to be long,but bear with me,I don't want to have to play 20 questions.

I disced 17 acres today with the 2-135 Series 3. That's the one with all the warning lights on the left side of the big black dash. They all work when I flip the lamp test switch.

Everything worked fine all the time I was discing. No lights came on,nothing slipped at all. I was in 4th gear back and forth from direct to underdrive on rolling ground. When I got done,I backed the disc in to a fencerow since I needed it up there again tomorrow,about 2 miles from home. I unhooked,got back in,drove across the end of a hayfield,shifted in to sixth gear underdrive,pulled on to a gravel road,went back up through direct to overdrive. I stopped at the paved road and had to wait for traffic to clear. I pulled it in to underdrive again while I was sitting there.

When traffic cleared,I let up on the clutch pedal and it felt funny. Kinda stuck just like it did a year ago when the bushing in the pdeal went bad and the pedal was rubbing on the side of the lower dash. I put my other toe under it and pulled up. The pedal came up but it still didn't move. No noise,no shuddering,no lights on,nothing. I got off,took the side of the hood off and all the linkage looked normal. I shut it off,checked the oil in the over/under. It was full,looked and smelled like new.

I started it back up,tried the PTO,it worked. I tried every gear,forward and reverse,all three ranges,nothing at all,no movement,no noise,nothing. Still no lights on.

BUT the pedal still didn't feel right. Right at the end of the free travel,down about 2-3 inches,it feels like a catch,then it feels normal. Just the right resistance like the relaese bearing is pushing in the fingers of the pressure plate. The linkage seems to be right,if I push the pedal an inch or so,I can slip the pin right out of the linkage where it hooks to the arm on the bell housing.

I called the wife,she came and we hooked on and pulled it backwards about 50 feet to get it as far off the road as we could. This was all about 2 o'clock-two thirty.

My son got home about 6:30,we went up and towed it home. First thing I did was check the oil in the over/under again when we got there. I thought just maybe now that it was cold things would work. Nope. No change in anything. Pedal still doesn't feel quite right. Jon said let's tow it a little ways in gear with the engine off and see what happens. We went about 10-15 feet,nothing. It didn't turn the motor. I put it back in park,started it,pulled it back in neutral and waved him to go.

NOW,I looked down and the "powershift clutch pressure" light was on. We had done this in 6th gear direct. Now in neutral,I pulled the over/under in to underdrive and the light went off. I went back to direct and it came back on. I went to overdrive,it went off. Back to direct and it stayed off. We went about a mile and a half,I tried to get it in to road gear with the engine running while we were moving,all it would do is grind. For some reason he stopped at a rough spot on a gravel road and I put it in 6th direct again with the engine running. When we started going again,it made kind of a whining sound like something spinning fast and in a few seconds,the powershift clutch pressure light came on again. Back in to neutral,dropped it to underdrive,light went off,went to direct,back on,overdrive off,back to direct,stayed off.

We got it home,took the inspection cover off the top of the bell housing. Jon shined a light in there while I pushed the pedal down and up several times. He said it didn't look like things were moving very far,but everything appeared to be moving. Nothing looked out of place,no shavings,no clutch fibers or pieces,nothing was oily.

We couldn't get that 1/8th inch plug out behind the filter to put a guage on it to check the direct drive pressure and didn't have an adapter to hook the guage to the 1/4 inch plug right under the filter,so I took the filter off. I started it,let the clutch up and shut it off almost imediately. He said the oil only shot up barely enough to touch the bottom of the fuel tank. So it tried it again,left the pedal up and let it run a little longer. He said it only bubbled up an inch or so.

If the clutch wasn't engaging and turning the unit,there wouldn't be any pressure anyway would there?

I'm stumped. Don't want to pull the engine if I don't have to. Gonna try to get the oats in with the 1850 so it might be a few days before I put a whole lot of time in to it.

Keep in mind,it's not that the clutch won't DISengage,it won't engage. The tractor won't move.

The fact that it doesn't move in any o/u position would tend to indicate a clutch problem. A word of caution do not tow that tractor very far without the engine running and the transmission lube pressure light out.

I just went and tried something for the heck of it that I hadn't thought to try before. I started it and tried to shift it with the pedal up. It wanted to grind in under and direct,went in gear in overdrive. When I went back to neutral,the powershift clutch pressure light came on. I went to underdrive and it went off. Tried it two or three times,same thing happened everytime. Revved it up wide open,no change.

I would still guess it is the clutch. The o/u turns easier in under and direct then it does in over thus a broken clutch maybe turning the o/u in those positions but cannot in over. As far as the light if the o/u does not turn you have no pressure because the pump is not turning. The clutch pedal has a switch on it to keep the light from coming on with the clutch down.If you still think it is the o/u pull the drain plug and see what comes out. Either way you are probably goin to be pulling the engine.

I'd guess the clutch also. The center hub has broke out and catching the input shaft enough to turn the O/U a little and make the pump work some. That weird feel at the end of the pedal stroke is probably some of the broken hub catching. WB<><.

Is that a ceramic disc by chance? I never had one of those go out and don't know what it acts like.

I just had to move it from in front of the shop door. I put the loader behind it and was going to let it roll back against that. Before I did,I took the pin out of the linkage and stuck a tire iron behind the lever on the bell housing then pushed it back as far as I could. I put the pin back,started it and it wanted to creep a little in 3rd gear. I took the pin out again and pried it back while it was running. Same thing,creeped a little. I let it roll back and shut it off. When I got done with what I was doing,I started it again and put it in first gear. It pulled itself back up the slope in low gear direct and under,stopped when I put it in overdrive. There's still no noise or shuddering though. I had the cover off the top while I was doing all this and can't smell anything either. One other thing,when I pried the lever back with the tire iron,I didn't feel that catch,it went smooth,going down and coming back.

If it's the clutch,I knew full well I was going to ruin that thing stopping and starting so much running the round baler with it!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back