2-Pt Plow adjustment

G.S.G.

Member
Need help with setting up the 2-pt plow on my IH 340 utility. Install new points a few years ago and only use it for food plots. I can get it to go to a depth of 4 inches or so, and less on hard clay ground. I noticed that there is a hole to pin the 2-pt receivers from bending. Should these be pinned?? Currently they are not pinned. Also, there is a handle with notches for on the LH side of the hitch. What is this for?? Should it be in the lower or upper position?? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
 
The handle with notches is a crude 'draft control'. Not sure how well it acctually worked. Put in the middle hole and dont worry. Does your plow have a gage wheel? If so,leave the sockets free to pivot. The wheel will carry the rear. Use the hitch to control the front.If no gage wheel,try it both ways. Use whichever works best.Only goes 4 deep? Is resting too much on it's heels,or is the ground just that hard?
 
There is what I call a tail wheel, but no gage wheel. It is a 2 bottom plow. If you know what the model numbers is, I am interested so I can check into a manual. Thanks!
 
The nose of the plowshare has to be pointed down,enough where you can see it,by standing back and looking at it, if not you got to figure out a way to get it to point down.I got N0. 60 and 70 plows,and a 311 semi mount, it pretty easy to adjust them down, your plow i have no idea!!! I got a 3x16 ,fast hitch plow,,that handle on the left is for traction, and i never seen it make a difference either, but i got my plows in the Deep Suction Position and leave them there, and i can plow thru a Quarter line, Section line and does not come out of the ground! I plow at the plow day at least 8 inches deep!
 
Dont know model numbers of the owe way type of plows. My exprience is with 2 way rollovers.However the principles are the same.I currently own a #39 ('tumblebug') two way;#210 Fast hitch;314 3 point and fast hitch;642. If the shares resemble 'sled runners',then they are worn out and will not penetrate except into only the softest soils. A share needs 'suck' in order to work properly.That is a concept that most non farmer/'weekend worriors' do not understand.
 
There are a lot of plows that fit the description 2-point, 2-bottom. There are several different ways to control depth, depending on what model the plow is. And beware that they are not all compatible with all 2-point tractors.

The others that have already responded have given you good general information. For specifics, you need to tell us more about the plow. Pictures would be helpful. Maybe someone can give you a model number from a picture.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top