2000 3cyl oil overfill

kenbob

I changed the oil on my 1972 2000 3cyl gas for the first time since I bought it. The book I have says 7 quarts with filter. I used the regular full sized filter, but
when I check the oil after adding 7 qts, it is about 3/8 over full on the stick. Should I go with what I know I put in? or are there errors in manuals and it only needs
6qts instead of 7? Thanks all.

The oil was checked with the tractor in the garage, so there is a slight backward slope.

yes. even took it for a drive. Is there any issues with getting them to drain properly? I had run it and warmed it up and it was parked on the flat as far as I could tell.

The oil pan has likely been hit and dented upwards by the prior owner, resulting in the lower volume capacity you are observing. Keep the oil level at the full mark and motor on.

Only thing I can think of is that you have a sludge buildup. Sludge level can be checked with the drain plug out, run your finger in the hole and feel the bottom of the oil pan. Sludge there could also mean sludge up in the valve area where some drain holes might be blocked. You are using 6 quarts with a new FL-1A or Fram 8A spin on cartridge?????

Yes on the filter, but was putting in 7qts. I think the post that said 7qt was for the old canister filters had it right. Engine was supposedly overhauled before I got it and I can tell the pan was off so it should NOT have sludge in the bottom. THanks for the post.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back