2001 New Holland 5610S Alternator Question

TractorJack1

New User
Alternator isn't charging, and this is what I have done so far: Installed a new 3 wire alternator, and tested it with a meter and the alternator 12.53 volts with the tractor on or off. I'm not sure if the dummy light is effecting it not working, or the battery heat sensor could be the problem. The battery I have is about a year old. When I put a charger on the battery, it charged the battery to 13.8.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Jack

Hello Jack welcome to YT! The alternator you bought is specific to your tractor? In other words wherever you bought your alternator you requested one for a 2001 NH 5610s? Or are you trying to install a Delco 10SI 3 wire alternator as a cheaper alternative? If you installed the stock alternator the fact that your charge indicator light is not working may very well be the cause of your problem. It may be a fuse that has blown. Does it light up when you turn the key on? How about when you crank the engine does it light up then? This is usually a test time for such lamps. I would check in your manual for the fuse location. I suppose if your manual says something about the “battery heat sensor” being a possible cause of your issue it very well may be. To diagnose that we would have to see how it connects into the wiring that affects the charging circuits.

Okay, but my question remains did you install a stock direct replacement alternator for your tractor or are you trying to make another type of alternator work on it?

Okay, but my question remains did you install a stock direct replacement alternator for your tractor or are you trying to make another type of alternator work on it?
You are going to have to wait for pictures. It is possible it did not have an original on it and he replaced it in kind.

The alternator I bought looks exactly like the one in my manual. I replaced the warning light bulb still nothing. Then I manually excited the alternator with a screwdriver behind the regulator and the battery started reading 14.3. I turned tractor off and restarted the tractor and know it's charging very odd

Well hopefully you didn’t short out the wrong thing with your screwdriver and all will be good now. It does seem rather odd that you could possess a magic screwdriver! :)

Does your tractor have a battery temp sensor on the bottom of the battery tray with two wires connected to it? If it does, that has to be included in the charging system circuits or it will never charge. Are you aware of that?

I'm quite sure the light circuit should turn the light on as soon as you turn the key to "on". You shouldn't need to manually excite anything. Maybe you need to revisit that circuit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back