201CID diesel ring gap on Ford4500.

I miss-placed my DVD that has the service manual on it and was wondering if anybody out there had the ring gap for a standard sized piston while I wait for a new DVD? I had my block sleeved, decked and had new cam bearings installed. Now, with new pistons, new rings, and a new crank, I wanted to start putting it together. One of the first things I want do is check the ring gap. Thanks in advance!

PS, I was going to use plastic gauge to check the main and rod bearing clearances and was curious if it measures radial or diametrical clearance. Also, it looks like some people put oil in bearing/crank gap on the opposite side of the plastic gauge, anybody have any comments on that?

4.400” x .004= .0174”.

This is what I got right now:

Ring gaps

Oil.=015”
3=.017”
2=.016”
1(Top)=.016

Oil.=.017
3=.0.018
2=.017”
1(Top)=.017”

Oil.=.012
3=.0.016
2=.017
1(Top)=.015”

I guess I’ll have to wait for the service manual but it looks #3 is a little tight. Thanks for the reply.

Swap the top ring between cylinders 2 and 3 see what you have. If your machine shop is good it should be the same, but.. The ring set doesn’t have to stay with the piston it came with. They were picking the rings out of a big box of top rings when they (machine/person however it was done) put the ring packages together at the factory.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back