2096 3pt internal rod broken again

Paul1916

New User
We have had the internal rod that goes from the piston to the rocker arm break twice on this tractor.
The last time the broken rod must have gotten wedged against the cylinder / sleeve and pushed on the side bending it and breaking a chunk out of the rear end casting.

We have the parts to replace what is broken again and are hoping that since at least 3/4 of the casting that supports the sleeve is there it will be OK.
The main question is what to do to keep this from happening again?
I believe the 3pt must be going to high- is it an adjustment with the draft sensing- I'm sure this is all messed up and never worked right. Or could we just adjust the control circuit travel some how... one post I found on ag talk mentions putting a relief valve on the 3pt valve.

Thanks for any insight.

CASE did have a external relief valve for the early 20-2290's. The cable used to cancel upward 3 pt movement would stretch and the same damage would occur as you have.
When your 3 pt is raised to its max height you should be able to manually lift your hitch arms a inch or to yet. If you do not have that free travel and I doubt you do,
you need to adjust the cancelling linkage which is in the trans accessible after the PTO is removed. You might have the PTO off yet , I would shorten the linkage a few
turns before PTO installation. Make sure the linkage is tight and still intact. If the link is broken or disconnected that would be your problem, Rod.

Thanks for the tips. We are still looking at all of the adjustments the service manual mentions and that every thing is timed also. One thing I noticed is that the draft cable end is bent right where it attaches to the arm on the bottom of the case. I am not sure what happened first - some other adjustment / malfunction caused the 3 pt. to break causing this cable end to bend or if a stick or something hit the cable end and then having it bent and out of adjustment caused the chain reaction. I am leaning towards them being separate issues. The cable will get replaced and we will check all the adjustments and still probably shorten the internal rod a couple turns like you mention just to be safe- I remember thinking the 3 pt. always lifted real high on this tractor- which is great until it breaks!

This post was edited by Paul1916 on 12/16/2022 at 02:08 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back