240 utility distributor

glennster

Well-known Member
working on my 240 utility and discovered distributor bushings are shot. pile of bronze bushing material in the bottom of the distributor. with time being short i need to get this one up and running. yt shows 3 distributors for the 240, two new ones at about 140 each and one reman for 270. is there a difference? my thought was to put a new one in and then rebuild the other later. here is a link to the distributors. i am thinking on the first one at 140 dollars. what say ye?
distributors
 
With out look and checking things I would be the cheaper new ones are made in the land of almost almost right and may work if your lucky. The reman one while higher in price is probably the one that would work
 
IH built those distributors with a couple dozen different advance curves. Different tractor models got different advance curves. There wasn't one that fit "Farmall Cub, A, B, C, Super A, H, M, Super H, Super M, W6, W9, Super W6, 100, 130, 200, 240, 300, 400, 404, 450, 504 tractors".

I suggest fixing the one you have.
 
Very good chance that neither new or rebuilt dist will have correct advance. Look at the number stamped on plate of shaft under the weights. It will most likely be 22-25-30-or 40 L. The rebuilt or new one will most likely be 40L.

The 40 L was the one most sold over the counter regardless of what tractor it was going on. Can you say, well it fits and runs. I know because I was there when parts was selling them right out of their printed fliers.

The part number on shoulder of dist tells what advance and application they were for if you had a chart to show all of them. Last chart I saw was on the wall in dealer shop I worked at. Long gone.
 
A 240 distributor should be code "X" at the base of the housing. The shaft should be 30 L.

There were different advance springs too. If the originals look good, I would reuse them. Many of the original springs are discontinued.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top