2955 hydraulic issue

I have a 1990-2955 2 wheel drive cab tractor with loader. Has about 6500 hrs. Used mostly for cattle farm hay work. Everything works great in low range but when bumped to high range, issues start. Loader won t work and have occasionally lost steering if rpm s not high enough. Hyd filter and fluid drained and replaced. Mesh screen pulled and no debris. Hyd filter relief valve and surge valve checked and all good. Pressure at scv s good. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You are about to see the dark side of these,,it won't be as simple as a seal bad..over time steel sealing rings wear into the housings, a little at a time till the leak more than the transmission pump can keep up with,,this limits the amount of oil that serves the front pump...

I talked to 2 different service managers today. Anywhere from $5-10k to split and fix. Both said I could run in low without any further damage. It s a really well kept and been good to me tractor. I m going think about it. At my age, don t really want to buy new. Any thoughts?

Yes 2755's have the same system,and near the same parts,you just have to meticulously inspect all seal wearing surfaces and pipes,,it takes a lot of time and most dealers won't take the job on because there is no grantee that it will end up successful.. I don't like the the hydraulic supply system on these models for that reason,,my old dealership sold a lot of them,,when they were good they were Great,, when they went bad they were a nightmare.

hello,, the 55 series from our german factory,, 2155, 2355, 2555, 2755, 2955, 3055, 3255,, all these are susecpatble to the hi piston seal failure at some point. i have been putting these
seals in for more than 20 years. it won't hurt anything to run your tractor in lo range for the next 20 years or so. the cab has to come off and the tractor split at the trans. if you go in
there also inspect the PTO clutch disks, if they are original & worn thin you can put the HEAVY duty disks in.

Follow-up for anyone interested. Dealership fixed hi/lo issue. Packings blown in low side brake. Split behind clutch housing. Replaced clutch plates, packings, discs and wear parts in hi/lo clutch. New O rings and gaskets in shifter valve. Everything works great now. Loader and 3 point lift all work in hi range now. Right at $3600.

This post was edited by Eric in KY on 12/15/2023 at 02:47 pm.

(quoted from post at 17:44:21 12/15/23) Follow-up for anyone interested. Dealership fixed hi/lo issue. Packings blown in low side brake. Split behind clutch housing. Replaced clutch plates, packings, discs and wear parts in hi/lo clutch. New O rings and gaskets in shifter valve. Everything works great now. Loader and 3 point lift all work in hi range now. Right at $3600.

This post was edited by Eric in KY on 12/15/2023 at 02:47 pm.

3600 ain't bad considering the shop rates at any JD dealer are at least 150. Just so long as they did a decent job while they were in there.

(quoted from post at 02:03:21 12/16/23)
Where did you get it fixed at, high is out on a neighbors 2955, local dealer quoted $10-15k
Located near Fort Konx

Wright Implement of Seymour IN. Ask for Jeff in service. My total cost was $4100 which included pickup and delivery and a couple other misc fixes.

This post was edited by Eric in KY on 12/15/2023 at 05:13 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back