2955 hydraulic Return

FY-2955

Member
Hoping someone can help me.2955 is bursting the hydraulic filter canister.Obviously fluid cant return.Am aware of the bypass valve ,but shuoldnt the filter port be clear in the housing ,and where does it enter the cavity?Missing a gasket on the cartrige filter and think it plugged the return port?
 
Hello FY, welcome to YT! Just a wild suggestion if the diagram shown is what you have this is the cab setup. My suggestion would be to pull the banjo style bolts listed as numbers 7, see if your missing oring has gotten stuck in one of those. JD 2955 Hyd diagram a filter flows from the outside in. If you want to I cannot tell you which way it flows but generallysee other hydraulic If you want to view the setup for without a cab click the “70 Hydraulics” and search it on the list. If you want to see other parts sections for your tractor click the “2955 Tractor” at the top.
 
I had a filter blow up on my log splitter. The bypass valve in the filter housing had broken, and the pieces had plugged the outlet fitting.
 
Hello FY, welcome to YT! Just a wild suggestion if the diagram shown is what you have this is the cab setup. My suggestion would be to pull the banjo style bolts listed as numbers 7, see if your missing oring has gotten stuck in one of those. JD 2955 Hyd diagram a filter flows from the outside in. If you want to I cannot tell you which way it flows but generallysee other hydraulic If you want to view the setup for without a cab click the “70 Hydraulics” and search it on the list. If you want to see other parts sections for your tractor click the “2955 Tractor” at the top.
Appreciate the help, but I have a different set up. I have a canister hydraulic filter that returns through ports in the housing. The diagram you showed me is for a spin on.
 
Last edited:
Appreciate the help, but I have a different set up. I have a canister hydraulic filter that returns through ports in the housing. The diagram you showed me is for a spin on.
I think Tx Jim has headed you in the right direction, that is actually the transmission filter, if that is what you are looking at. It is located on the bottom right side of the transmission. They offer a non-ported or ported (1 port) cover. The ones on my tractors are heavy cast metal, and I understand there is a lighter stamped metal type from other forum discussions here around installing loaders and might be what you have.

The oil filter relief valve should be in the side of the transmission. On a 2030 it is behind a hex plug above the filter location, I am not sure if your 2955 is the same. This is where having the correct set of manuals would help you. (TM4436 Operation & Test, TM4436S OP & Test Supplement, and TM4449 Repair for a 2955). The picture is what the 2030 TM shows for the flow path through the filter, I expect yours is similar. If the attached parts link is the right one it appears to be similar.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/70901/referrer/navigation/pgId/186809838

Capture.JPG
 
I think Tx Jim has headed you in the right direction, that is actually the transmission filter, if that is what you are looking at. It is located on the bottom right side of the transmission. They offer a non-ported or ported (1 port) cover. The ones on my tractors are heavy cast metal, and I understand there is a lighter stamped metal type from other forum discussions here around installing loaders and might be what you have.

The oil filter relief valve should be in the side of the transmission. On a 2030 it is behind a hex plug above the filter location, I am not sure if your 2955 is the same. This is where having the correct set of manuals would help you. (TM4436 Operation & Test, TM4436S OP & Test Supplement, and TM4449 Repair for a 2955). The picture is what the 2030 TM shows for the flow path through the filter, I expect yours is similar. If the attached parts link is the right one it appears to be similar.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/70901/referrer/navigation/pgId/186809838

View attachment 66679
Yes, that drawing is correct so the filtered oil goes directly to the pump ?
 
But if that is the case, that it goes directly to the pump, that would explain why I can’t blow air through it, correct ?
 
Unfortunately, no
This site apparently only has a reprint of the TM4449 Repair manual. You need the TM4436 and possibly the TM4436S, before you need the Repair manual. I suggest you bite the bullet and buy the manuals instead of throwing parts at it. That bypass valve can be pulled and cleaned, unless damaged. And you don't know if it is damaged until you pull it and inspect.

Below is a link to the JD bookstore if you want to purchase from there. I gave you the publication numbers if you want to search elsewhere. eBay may have some good used ones.

JD Ag & Turf Bookstore

Once on that homepage, click on the Equipment Publications tab. When that page opens enter 2955 in the box beside Model # and search.

You should get a dropdown list of equipment with 2955 in the model title. Click on 2955 in the list, that should open another list of just 22955 items.

Look down the list to Tractors - Base Units-North America. And select the range your tractor serial number falls in. When it opens the list of manuals for that serial number range, you should see all the manuals available for your tractor. If you do no have an Operator's Manual, click on it. They are often available in several languages so pick the one you want (clicking on them opens them so you can see the language) and to the right of that it should say have a download icon or say Download. Click on the icon (or download) and it will download a free pdf copy of the Operator's Manual to your device which you can then save to your device. You can also print the download if you save it to your device. If you want a book or CD copy of the Operator's Manual, the prices for those are shown, they are not free. For the other manuals, clicking on them will open them so you can see the media type options. prices, and a preview. The technical manual options are there if you chose to purchase, those are not free. I have purchased from there, downloads and hardcopies with no issues. HTH

Edit: The manuals may look expensive, but they will look cheap if you screw up something or just keep throwing parts at it until the problem goes away. Just look at them as parts you need to do the job.
 
Yes, understood but all I really need to know is if the filtered port returns directly to a pump or to an empty cavity
 
Yes, understood but all I really need to know is if the filtered port returns directly to a pump or to an empty cavity
Strained but unfiltered oil from the pump . And a return hose from a loader SCR . both route oil to the unfiltered side of the filter .

Any 165psi Oil flow through the filter that exceeds the demands of the transmissions High/Low , PTO clutch/brake and transmission lubrication . This leftover oil Is routed to the front pump , oil cooler and storage tank .
 
So if I understand you, the filtered port would not be open , meaning, I can’t blow air through it, correct ?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top