2n ford front mount disturber

itmeagain

sorry the spelling but i have a 2n ford my old coil went out it was 12 volt I want to replace with a new one but I don't want run 12 volt to the coil what should I use to cut the voltage down about 9 volt to save the this coil ?

Why not just get a 12 volt coil and run 12 volts to it? If you get a 6 volt coil you will need to reduce the voltage down and add another point in your system that can fail.

I doubt your coil went out. 1st up is what system are you trying to use? Is it the OEM 6V/POS GRN or has a 12V fiasco been attempted? If 12V, what is wrong with a 12V Coil? Best to use that, but you also need the OEM Ballast Resistor as well. I feel you have another problem especially of tractor does not run now. FACT: 99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to incorrect wiring. Have you messed with the distributor? Front Mount tuneup done on your bench and tested B4 mounting correctly. Ya gotta know how to wire these od Fords. 9N & 2N are different than the later 8N front mount. If 6V you need the 1-Wire GEN and cutout. If 12V, discard GEN and Cutout and install a DELCO 10SI ALT. Either way, 6V or 12V, you still use the OEM Ballast Resistor. Know what that is? If you want to use 12V but keep your 6C Coil, you must add an in-line external 1-OHM resistor to the coil wire from resistor to coil post.

BALLAST RESISTOR:
Laahz4tl.jpg

9n/2n wiring - both 6v & 12v shown:
Swubdfml.jpg

I&T F0-4 SERVICE MANUAL:
MPVwhy2l.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back