2N Hydraulic Pump Chatter

Dalesbebe

New User
I have a 2N that sat for 8 years inside a garage with no lubricant in the rear differential or transmission. I have the engine running great, the PTO turns and the 3 point lifts and lowers.
My issue is that when maintaining a lifted load (mower) in a position, it sounds like the hydraulic pump is cavitating. The noise might be coming from something else but that is what it sounds like.

I am running just replaced Ford mineral oil 90 wt as recommended.

Any ideas? Hydraulic Pump Relief valve chattering? Like I said, the 3 pt lifts and lowers without hopping or stuttering. It's only when maintaining the lifted load in a position that the noise happens.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I'll Bite has the oil level beeen checked again since it was filled and ran. The 3 pt cylinder will retain some oil after it is filled. You did say it sat empty for a few years. Also if while getting it running if you were turning it over and running it some without oil while doing the other work on it might have damaged the pump running dry if that was the case.

To begin with, 2Ns do not have position
control. They have draft control only which
means the lift is either all the way up or
all the way down.
Position control didn't come out till the
8Ns in 1948.
As for the chatter, it's been a while since
I had an N but I think some knocking or
chatter is normal on those. If it lifts
smooth and will raise a heavy load I would
say it is normal for one of those 75 year
old machines.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back