2N Oil Problems

My 2N has got some major oil issues, and they are getting progressivly worse very quickly. When I got the tractor 1 year ago this week and got it running in June, it smoked a little while running. I put some No-Smoke type fluid in it and that seemed to just make it smoke worse.Then it began leaking oil in various places a while after that. Now it smokes, leaks oil and fouls the plugs so bad, I have to clean them with a wire wheel on the dremel every time I fire it up. The #1 & 2 plugs are fouled so bad, there is literally no gap to the plug, it has so much oil and *miscellanious* built up that it just bridges the plug gap. The #4 plug stays clean, #3 a little worse, #2 a little worse than that, and #1 is even worse yet, always in that order. I know what's causing the smoke and fouling the plugs, however what I don't know is the extent of work it needs done.

I figure there are 3 possible levels of severity depending on how much ring ridge the cylinder walls have:
1. Only slight ring ridge = New Rings
2. Honing and new rings
3. Worst case scenario, really bad ring ridge = Cylinder bore, new pistons/rings.

I haven't taken the head off yet to look at anything. I'm not scared of doing the work but at the same time, I'm just not really looking forward to the initial discovery because I got a feeling it's going to involve boring, new pistons and new rings. Does anyone have any insight they can pass along as to speculations of how bad it might be or the cost of each level of severity, especially the cylinder bore? Along that note, are these engines sleeved, or is it a solid block that has to be bored?
 
carpetfarmer,If it has the original block in it It has replaceable sleeves.If the engine has been replaced with an industrial engine,it can be bored to accept sleeves.
 
Whew! That makes me feel a lot better! Just out of curiosity and for the sake of learning, what's the difference between a regular block and an industrial?
 
You might want to consider doing a dry & wet compression test to first determine if you have stuck rings versus worn rings.

Good luck.
Colin, MN
 
Yer chits worn out...

I am not much for wasting time are other folks money are my valuable time,,, if it has excessive blow by,,, all the indicator i need (must cuzz its a leakier) yer chit is worn out,,, fix it are part it out... sorry nuttin last forever...
 
Carpetfarmer,A tractor block came with .040 or .090 wall thickness sleeves.The Industrial engine from a combine ,power unit,pump, generator ect.came with no sleeves.
 
Tried cleaning the filter in the oil fill cap? Clogged crankcase breather builds internal pressure causes leaks and blowby possibly. If it feels heavy it needs cleaning.
 

Are you sure this is oil fouling? Saw an air filter that the internal diameter of the intake shrunk to the size of a nickle coin due to dust buildup. Governor constantly hunted trying to keep it running.. Wrong oil weight in filter cup or too much can cause it to be sucked into engine.

On the 8N the coil wires can be hooked backwards causing drop in voltage and poor plug performance. someone here will speak up if this not apply to 2N. a few of these had magneto and you didn't say.

If carb has troubles and you can.t adjust jets proper it will smoke.

Try a new set of AUTOLITE 437 plugs.


No thermostat will cause it to run cold. front cylinders normally run cooler than back cylinders..Shows up in the winter by poor performance
 
Sounds like you need a rebuild on the engine, you would expect to find replaceable sleeves in it. I am unsure what to tell you to expect on 2N valves.

Whatever, you will need the engine disassembled, and a machine shop to tell you what you need.

Look over the Comprehensive Overhaul Kits on this page for an idea of what comes with them, most every wearing part of this engine.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/...d=8N&cat=Engine Overhaul Kits&r=mcats
 
It"s got 10W-30 in the air filter cup and it"s still on the 6V system with points and as far as I know, everything is hooked up properly. It also has a new thermostat but the winter thing makes sense because it just started fouling the plugs so bad this winter when dad was using it to push snow. I can try to post some pictures when I get home this weekend of the plugs.
 
A little investigation is always worth your time.

If you need help with getting an adapter set-up for your compression guage, check out Bruce Hayne"s 50 tips, tip #46:

http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint268.htm

Test each cylinder 1 by 1 by cranking the engine until the gauge no longer increases pressure. Jot down your readings.

Then add a good shot of oil into each (the wet test) and re-do the test.

Let us know what your numbers are.

Stuck rings occur because of limited or no use. Several days of soaking using ATF can free them up.

Report back.
Colin, MN
 
Before you go nuts put ONE pint of MMO in the crank case oil and run it.A friends Farmall A was pumping oil bad.It blew smoke rings when idling and fouled plugs.Google Aldor spark plugs.Do a compression check.An engine that is pumping oil will have good compression because the rings are flooded with oil.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top