300 Utility......again

u00bgg2

Member
So , new day new set of problems.

Got the ring gear changed out, new start tooth installed and things were looking up. When lining up the output shaft with the fly wheel we had to turn the crank a couple times and heard a pining / knocking sound. I did not think much of it, I though maybe put a wrong bolt in the wrong spot in the oil pan and we had some interference, I would look at it after I got the two halves together.

Well got them together and installed the starter to check things out and when you cranked it over (start much faster than my arms) you could really hear it. Check here there and every where and finally came to the fact that I was going to have to pull the front cover. From underneath I could see the cam "jumping", like it was binding.

So took the front cover off and sure as manure the cam gear was lose, the hydraulic pump gear was loose. Cam gear nut was cross threaded so I have a second issue there.

Question is, I have not pulled the cam gear off but I believe it is keyed. The cam gear is loose on the cam (side to side movement) If I chase the threads and get the nut properly secured will this be adequate to secure the gear to the cam and remove the play? Since I have not pulled the gear off I am not sure of the complete interface hence the question. I also have the same issue on the hydraulic pump, gear is loose but I did tighten this one and the rotation is gone.

This did not seem to be an issue prior to the ring gear being changed out, but it must have been there and the hydraulics put enough tension in the system that I could not hear it or something.

Lastely, any one know the torque specs for the crank pully bolt and the cam gear bolt?

Thank you,
Brian
 
The gear is keyed to the cam with a woodruff key. if the cam pocket is wallowed out, careful use of a Dremel tool and abrasive stones or diamond bits
could increase its size for a larger key. The keyway in the cam could also be broached to that size, being careful to keep timing alignment. If the
gera is loose on the cam snout, a new cam gear is needed. If the cam snout is also worn, a different cam is needed. You could try Locktite stud and
bearing mount material to attempt a repair, but id the slop is pretty noticeable it might be futile. The cam can be changed by removing the pushrods
and opening the lifter cover to raise the lifters above the journals. Cloths pins work to hold them up in the bores. Jim
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top