3000 Ford Steering Cylinder

dleefarms66

New User
My 3000 is having issues bending the steering cylinder rods - even under no turning pressure. I was simply making a left hand turn (not deep) and the next thing i see is the rod bent. This has happened a couple other times and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and possibly know the cause and fix. Thanks in advance.
 
I replace the 3000 cyls with 3400 cyls... as they have a 5/8 in rod vs the 1/2 inch rod. Turning "past the stops" is a common way to bend the rods. Extreme rough terrain is also hard on them. Worn and sloppy tierod ends and spindle bushings allowing the spindles to constantly jerk can also help this happen,,, but turning past the stops and holding it there, or front end loader work is usually the problem.
 
If the power steering pump was ever replaced at any point, my guess would be that the relief valve in the pump is set for 1100 psi. The steering system on a 3000 was designed for a pump with a 650 psi relief valve setting. Almost nobody sells the pumps preset at 650 psi any more. Some of the newer ones can't even be changed, but some are like the original design and removing some shims will allow the setting to be lowered.
 
I have the same problem. Ford 4000 left-side rod bent. I have been using this setup for at least ten years with no problem. In the last month, I have bent 3 rods. Very expensive. Only the left side. Yesterday I mowed the field for three hours being very gentle. Then it happened again. It happens fast. I checked the pump relief valve. I did replace the pump about 6 years ago. I replaced the drag link ball bearing. Still a problem.
Thoughts, please.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
Sticking pressure relief valve in the power steering pump. It will cause the steering rod to bend before yo can blink an eye.. If you remove and disassemble it, there is a little tiny check valve that sticks, just keep track of the order of assembly, it's not hard to do.
 
Had the same issue with my 4000SU, pressure relief check valve stuck
Fortunately I only bent 2 right side cylinders before remembering a write up on this forum about it
 
Sticking pressure relief valve in the power steering pump. It will cause the steering rod to bend before yo can blink an eye.. If you remove and disassemble it, there is a little tiny check valve that sticks, just keep track of the order of assembly, it's not hard to do.
If you mean the relief valve in the pump I checked that. Mine only consists of a spring and a ball. Not complicated. Why only one side? I would think there are valves in the steering column that might be a problem.
 
Improper adjustment of the steering linkages can cause things to hit the actual steering stop in one direction before the rod is fully extended and not in the other direction.
 
Hey guys long time user but haven't responded much till now.
I have a 3000 that keeps bending the right cylinder. Ì have restored as of today 32 of the 3000 series tractors and had never seen this before. Stops look good, joints look good, installed a new pump checked pressure (650psi). I have noticed the cylinders have more stroke than the linkage will allow them to use. My question is has anyone else noticed this?
 
I have noticed the cylinders have more stroke than the linkage will allow them to use. My question is has anyone else noticed this?

Can you confirm that they are the original cylinders? If not, that might be the cause.
 
My 3000 is having issues bending the steering cylinder rods - even under no turning pressure. I was simply making a left hand turn (not deep) and the next thing i see is the rod bent. This has happened a couple other times and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and possibly know the cause and fix. Thanks in advance.
Been a few years since I had one apart, but I would look at the pressure relief in the pump. I found a little tiny piece , down on the end of the valve, stuck in the one I was working on, after three rods.
 
I took one apart last year.

 
Can you confirm that they are the original cylinders? If not, that might be the cause.
yes I a set of original cylinders and a aftermarket cylinder they both have the same stroke. If the cylinder can stroke farther than required it almost have to be a hydraulic supply problem to bend the rod, correct ?
 
I took one apart last year.

I grip the end in the vise to take apart the pressure control valve .
 
thinking.....When in a neutral position,, ie not turning,,, the pressure will/should be equal on both sides.. If its not equal, it will cause a turn to a point of being equal. High pressure at this point would would be equalized to zero on the rod pistons, both sides... Assuming that the cyls are equal, what could cause rod bending? Any side forces, and shock overloads that change the geometry. Turning to the stop and then holding it there. Hitting bumps with the wheels as leverage back to the clys. Loose and worn tie rod ends that allow off set forces to act on the rods, Worn spindle bushings allowing the angles to change and allow shock. Overspeed in extreme rough ground conditions beating the rods? loose wheel bearings, Oversize wheels that amplify the loads, A bad steering valve/springs that does not center and keeps unequal pressure on one side that has to be counteracted by the other side?, (if you let go of the wheel and it turns to the stop by itself), front end loader and excessive weight on the front,,,, And probably more things Although I have found that I mostly turned to the stops and held it there,,,, was probably my bad acts especially doing loader work. ............................................................................................................................... edited to add................................................................................................................................................................................ IF the steering box sectors are worn badly, the cyls are having to hold the position all by themselves, and thus taking on more of a beating... Might try to take the slack out of the arms by adjusting both sides of the steering box per the manual. ........................................................................................................................................................................................... AS to pressure, if your not beating up your rods, or going to the stops, the higher pressure would only contribute to either blowing out seals, pistons, lines or leaking at the box???? If you are going to the stops, the yes, higher pressure will bend rods ?/
 
Last edited:
thanks for your response, I am hungry for information that can help me solve this issue. Today I disconnected the cylinders and turned the wheels to their stops, then checked the cylinders at full extension and yes they both extended over 2" pass the mounting holes in the linkage. So the cylinder stroke is controlled hydraulicly. That brings me to the conclusion the pressure or flow ( trapped oil) is the root cause of bending the cylinder rods . I think ?
 
You have said that it has happened twice when turning, but not to full stop, so the cylinder lengths shouldn't have anything to do with it. Jack the front end up in the air so that both front wheels are off of the ground and check for worn and/or loose parts everywhere in the steering linkage. I suspect what others have already said, if things are worn and/or are not adjusted properly in the linkage, turning on rough ground can cause the wheels to kick back and that might result in the bent rod.
 
I feel a pressure spike could be the root cause. I found out today that the rod bending started after the pump was replaced. So I took the pump down and disassembled the pressure regulator and found some trash in the PR valve.( I attached pictures) I am going to replace the pump assembly. The debris in the PR valve looks like machineing debris. I don't know where the pump came from I only know it was not OEM pump. It's not the first time I have found machining debris left in units from manufacturing processes.
 

Attachments

  • 20260226_143810.jpg
    20260226_143810.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20260226_144154.jpg
    20260226_144154.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
Could the valve be out of adjustment or have some other defect to where the cylinder is being pressurized when it is not supposed to be?

If going straight ahead, and the valve sends oil to the cylinder it would try to extend, which it can't, because of the steering box...
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top