3000 hydraulic line condition

steveo3000

The tilt function of my bucket suddenly stopped. It is 95% up, I can move it between that 5%, it s interesting. Anyways, it drove me to look closer at the hose for the bucket and boom cylinders.

The swivel seems to wiggle the least, although there is a little fluid evident.

The tilt hose moves quite a bit, but does not leak.

The last one has a clear rip and looks wet.

Any opinions on if the first two are normal??
[video play=false:9e6fdca066]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo104437.mov[/video:9e6fdca066]

[video play=false:9e6fdca066]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo104438.mov[/video:9e6fdca066]

From my experience with those type hose ends, they wiggle, they are prone to seep as they loosen up, sooner or later they will leak enough they need to be replaced. How much weeping from one you can live with is a major factor in when they will be replaced. When you decide to replace them you may want to consider going to a different fitting arrangement and eliminate that type of swivel.

The last video didn t load. It s got a tear on the end.
[video play=false:ad411b2ad9]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo104468.mp4[/video:ad411b2ad9]

The outer covering is protection for the wire reinforcing over the inner tube (hose) that is sealed to the fitting stem and actually carrying the fluid. If a tear like that leaks/seeps the inner tube is damaged and may soon leak more or fail completely. That last hose may have been damaged by something jamming against it right next to the fitting. If it's not leaking, it is kind of like the swivels, you can leave it alone for now if not leaking. Or change it if you want. If it has started leaking from the tear, change it. There is no magic point that says "you must change this now", other than when it blows the hose open. It can be amazing how bad some old hoses look but they still work. JMHO

Thanks a lot Jim! I will continue to keep an eye on them for more leaks. I do have one that started to develop more, but it is a pipe fitting joint, so I ll just remove it and reseal it. It s circled in red below.

mvphoto104470.jpg

On my loaders that use that style of 90 degree fitting they do not swivel. It is a 90 degree tapered compression fitting that should not swivel. If it swivels it will seep. Snug it up.

I looked at one of the loaders today and the 90 degree fittings have jam nuts so they don't swivel. Maybe that's why yours seep. They move around and leak.
mvphoto104484.jpg

If you are referring to the O-ring at the arrow, it does not serve the same purpose as the one at the cylinder boss fitting Tom is talking about. Your O-ring is more of a dust seal to protect the swivel joint and his is actually sealing the threads.

mvphoto104488.jpg

(quoted from post at 19:18:46 04/10/23) I looked at one of the loaders today and the 90 degree fittings have jam nuts so they don't swivel. Maybe that's why yours seep. They move around and leak.
mvphoto104484.jpg

You have an entirely different 90 degree arrangement than he has. His hose end has the 90 degree then the male NPT that screws into the cylinder boss is made to swivel on the stub of the 90. Your cylinder looks like it has a male O-ring Boss (ORB) to JIC male adapter screwed into the cylinder boss. The nut on the ORB side of that adapter compresses the O-ring that is below it to seal the adapter to the cylinder as well as holding it in position. Your hose end appears to be a female JIC swivel end. If I was replacing the hose on his loader I would likely use a male NPT 90 with a female NPT swivel in the cylinder so as to use an off the shelf hose with male NPT ends.

From his other pictures it appears his cylinders have NPT threaded bosses; if that is correct, he cannot use the ORB fittings like yours in his cylinders.

Jim.ME - yes I see the difference that the photos are together.
My photo is a Bush Hog 2445 and the fittings are all from the factory.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back