3000 Straight Wire

Morning friends. Now that it's cooling off I'm getting some projects done. I bought a 1971 3000 Ford gas and the water pump is bad and that's supposed to be all but it's sat for a long time. I'm going to pull the tin off and remove the water pump. I want to see if it in fact will run before I put anything in it. I'm going to take the carb apart and clean it. If I put a battery in it and run a wire from the battery to the coil and coil to distributor can I short out the starter to get it to run? It doesn't have a key and the wiring is a mess. I just want to start it before doing anything else. Thanks.
 
Yes, just be sure to have it out of gear and or someone in the seat on the brakes and clutch. If it's negative ground jump from the battery + to coil +.
 
Make sure that the transmission is in neutral before attempting to apply power to the starter, but yes you can use a jumper cable or something similar to provide the power directly to the starter, so you can disconnect it quickly and easily.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top