301A Ignition Parts

TomIn

I have a 1978 John Deere 301A gas that I use with a flail mower about a dozen times a year. It has been a decade or more since I last tuned it up. I would like to replace the coil, points, condenser, and spark plugs before the mowing season begins.

The Deere parts website says the coil is AT14385 with a price of $116. RockAuto sells the equivalent Standard UC14 coil for about $15, so I plan to use it.

The Deere parts website lists three different part numbers for spark plugs. I couldn't find any section that listed part numbers for points or condenser.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what spark plugs, points, and condensers are good quality these days? (Brands and part numbers would be appreciated.)

Here is the page from the parts catalog with the distributor breakdown showing points, condenser, etc. You will need to confirm this is the distributor in yours.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/75910/referrer/navigation/pgId/266204

I have been using NGK plugs. For ignition parts I use Standard Motor Products' Blue Streak line when available. If not, I use the regular Standard ones, not the Trade line (they started to be more cost competitive with others). they have now. At NAPA I would use the Echlin line (which is made by Standard for them). I believe, but do not guarantee, the points cross to Standard's # AL 5486P and the condenser crosses to Standard's # AL 111.

Do not throw your old condensor as there is a good chance it is better than the new one that you buy. New tune up parts of good quality are very hard to find. Tom

If you are updating everything, consider an electronic ignition kit. No more points and condensers, and usually better performance.

coil wise you need 3 ohm or higher ,jd ignition parts are from over seas, but i difd finnd some nos by searching . recomend electronic ignition i did a jd 350b similar engine . it works great

With the potential quality of parts nowadays there's NO reason to replace ANY ignition parts on your tractor if it is starting and running well.

The chances of getting a coil or condenser of at least equivalent quality to what you have now are not good.

In other words, if it ain't broke don't "fix" it!

That being said, I bought a gas 4020 some years ago and the points looked well used, and the distributor cap was weathered so I bought NOS Delco points, condenser and distributor cap and rotor on ebay and set them aside 'til it would act up or I felt like taking the time to install them. Also, a set of spark plugs.

After 10 or 12 years, by last year, it was still running VERY well but the cap was looking so crappy (externally) I finally installed the new one and the new points, keeping the new condenser on the shelf in case it's ever needed. The new spark plugs are still "on the shelf", as well.

It's a GREAT idea to check the dwell, timing and spark advance, though.

When I got the tractor, the spark advance wasn't working so I disassembled the distributor and cleaned it up and lubed it. Thankfully, nothing there was significantly worn.

I still have a working dwell meter, so I could accurately set the (used) points when I got the tractor, and a timing light to check the advance and set the timing.

Someone mentioned EI, that's well and good, but (rarely) they DO fail unexpectedly, leaving you "dead in the water" unless you remember where you put the old points and associated parts, while you wait for a replacement EI.

Thanks for all the information.

The tractor now seems to run good when it is cold, but has a tendency to just suddenly stop after being run for an hour or so. When it restarts, it runs rough as I limp it back to the barn. These symptoms may be related to the coil or condenser. I'm a big, past-his-prime geezer who isn't too agile anymore. I just don't find it practical to check the spark and fuel flow when I am alone with the tractor in the middle of the giggle weeds a half mile from my house. I figured that installing a new coil and condenser is cheap entertainment, and might eliminate one potential cause of my issues. I hate to invest much in the tractor since I doubt that I will put another 100 hours on it before I get to the point where I won't be able to maintain my rural property.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back