3020 Front Wheel Dust Cover

ajhbike

I realize this may be elementary, But I am changing the bearings on the fronts and had an issue as you can see. The dust seal bushing/cap is supposed to be pressed in, right? I tried to seat them by tapping and then hitting more solidly to get them to seat in and bent both of them badly. I now have a hydraulic press but before the new ones get here (darn it)...are there any tricks to this. I have done B fronts, Farmalls, Fords, Fergies and I don't remember being complicated at all. The ones I removed were disintegrated so there was no reference. any help appreciated.

mvphoto111321.jpg

You should review JD Parts to make sure you have the correct part. Measure the hub and the new part. Should be an easy press fit. Pressing procedure is preferred.

It is really hard to tell without being there but looking
at those seals it is my opinion that they are not
damaged to the point of being unusable, unless the
other one looks worse. It is mostly in crooked, and sure
that top flange is bent a little but that will straighten
when it seats against the edge of the hub. Tap under
that flange on the left to either knock it out or
straighten it in the bore. Put it in your press with a
plate on it and press it home. If it is the wrong size
which I doubt, the press will just roll that top flange
over. If it has a spring behind the lip make sure is has
not come out of place.

I checked and I feel like a complete idiot. It looked like a part of the hub flange ...That old bearing cup pounded out and the new one pounded in right past it. Thank you all for taking the time to teach me a lesson.

Well that was the problem. Straightened out the dust cap and pressed it in. I bought the bearing kit from YT and the outside wheel bearing ID is too small by .1" and I don't want to bang it in...they are working on it but another abrupt stop.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back