3020 - next issue - load control lever

So my load control lever is acting up.

In the lowest position it won t operate the 3 point hitch. If I pull it out it wants to go down, below the lowest position and everything appears to work fine. I can go up and down with my drill hooked to it.

I can not move it up to any of the other control positions, it just wont go up at all. I didn t want to break anything so I thought I better get some advice and read my manual to see what has it bound up.

thoughts?

You need to adjust the draft control linkage inside
the tractor to start with . You won?t hurt anything by
running it

(quoted from post at 19:11:33 03/07/20) So my load control lever is acting up.

In the lowest position it won t operate the 3 point hitch. If I pull it out it wants to go down, below the lowest position and everything appears to work fine. I can go up and down with my drill hooked to it.

I can not move it up to any of the other control positions, it just wont go up at all. I didn t want to break anything so I thought I better get some advice and read my manual to see what has it bound up.

thoughts?

I can't remember, offhand, if up or down is "D" "DEPTH CONTROL", but for most things you are going to be using the 3-point for, you want the lever to be in "Depth" position.

The exception is plowing with a moldboard plow or similar deep tillage implement, then you move it towards "L" "LOAD" 'til you find a setting that works best for what you are doing... lifts the plow transferring weight to the rear wheels as you go through a "tough spot", then lowers it again.

Which setting are you trying to use with your drill?

I'll suggest to adjust L/D mechanism step by step as outlined in a JD 3020 tech manual.

I can't remember where position "D" is either but agree setting "L" is designed to only be utilized with ground engaging plows.

There is only , L position for load , D position for
draft and . LD load and depth load and depth is best
for plowing . L position is best for pulling drill like he
is never have really found a good use for the D .
Some fiat guy was on here crying cuz he couldn?t
get John Deere draft control to work like a case
don?t ever know what his problem was he wanted 3
levers a couple dials and a toggle switch or two I
guess? Anyway
cvphoto7803.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:56:41 03/08/20)
SV
Part of your statement is incorrect.
L=load/draft
L/D is a less sensitive than L setting between L & D
D=depth not draft

Guys, without anything attached to tractor, the control lever is stuck in the L/D position. I have a manual and the extension with the socket welded to it, but manual says put in D position and make the adjustment.

(quoted from post at 11:24:56 03/08/20)
As I previously stated to correctly adjust L/D one should follow adjustment instructions in 3020 TM

So what you are saying is, i can do same procedure through bung hole in l/d as in the D position?

There are more than 1 step to perform "to correctly adjust L/D mechanism" than adjusting the screw accessible in rear bung hole in trans case. No I'm not stating or implying that L/D mechanism can be internally ""correctly adjusted" with control lever stuck in 1 of the 3 positions. IMHO the lever stuck in 1 position needs to be addressed in order to correctly adjust 3 pt internal control mechanism.

(quoted from post at 06:25:48 03/09/20)
There are more than 1 step to perform "to correctly adjust L/D mechanism" than adjusting the screw accessible in rear bung hole in trans case. No I'm not stating or implying that L/D mechanism can be internally ""correctly adjusted" with control lever stuck in 1 of the 3 positions. IMHO the lever stuck in 1 position needs to be addressed in order to correctly adjust 3 pt internal control mechanism.

Thanks Jim.

Guess i need to open it up somehow to see what s binding it. Funny thing is 3 point won t work in L/D, but will work below it and want to spring to that position.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back