311 Gauge Cluster hook up questions

Bandman

New User
The saga continues from a previous post. I was able to get a cluster from Jean Claude - great man to deal with. I sold my old one on ebay to a fellow in KS. When my reman one arrives, I need to hook up the Temperature, Tach, Fuel, and Speedo gauges. Does anyone have any tips here? I don"t think my tractor has any of this - except MAYBE the wire to the gas tank. Thanks for any help!
a24950.jpg
 
Bandman

The tach and speedometer cables you need are available from your friendly Case dealer. The tach cable is part number G45393, and should cost about $40-50. The speedometer cable is part number G45230, and runs $40-50. You will need to install a water temp sender in the cylinder head on the right side above the oil filter. That can probably buy the sender at your dealership as well, or you can buy a Stewart Warner 280EA sender at any SW dealer. You'll need to run a wire from the sender to the gauge. Similarly you will need a single wire lead from the fuel sender to the gauge. The both gauges (fuel and temp) will need to be wired to the IGN pole of your ignition switch. The easiest/simplest way to accomplish this is to run the first wire from the ignition switch to the ignition pole on the temp gauge, then a second wire from that pole on the temp gauge to the ignition pole on the fuel gauge. Good luck - Joe
 
The pointer being on the "H" indicates that the temp gauge has been changed from the original mechanical movement to electrical requiring a sender. Also the gas gauge is electrical. Both these gauges (if SW) are resistance types dedicated to either 6v or 12v with senders of the same voltage. The amp gauge is not voltage sensitive. None of the gauges are polarity sensitive except you may have to swap the input & output on the amp gauge to have the pointer deflect in the right direction pending pos or neg gnd circuit.

The 311 was factory 6v positive gnd, reman gauges are likely 12v.

Joe
 
Joe Young below is right about sourcing the parts you need from Case and SW, but you can get all of these items from John Saeli also at a lower price too probably. I proccured the same items for my 630 from John.

I have a wiring diagram for this cluster. I will try to find the electronic copy (pdf file) and send to you a bit later, and yes I would bet the gauges are set up for 12V.

Jim
 
JW, John has a good Web site with a lot of his items listed with prices. If you do not see what you want e-mail or call him. If you call his wife Chris will probably answer if John is out in the field. Chris is quite knowledgeable too, they make a good team. John has been able to come up with at lot of new and NOS items for me. He comes from an old J.I. Case family, his Dad was a dealer.

The link to his Web site is:

http://www.external_link.com/

Jim
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top