3400 clutch advise

gears

Ok, 3cylinder Gas 8speed, single clutch, no live pto, 15 spline.

It turns out if you leave your timing cover off (you know, the little sheet metal tab that blocks the 3/4" X 1" access hole to the flywheel for setting timing) mice can get in there and FILL it with nest that absorbs water seeping through the same uncovered hole to the point the clutch, pressureplate and even the flywheel look like they've been on the bottom of Lake Erie for the last decade!

Anyhow, I have a Loader on this tractor, it has a 12" clutch - do I NEED a 12" clutch? the 11 inch is much cheaper and more readily available. If I'm changing the pressureplate and disk shouldn't I be able to switch to the 11" unit?

I also notice in the manual that the "new style" replacements for the 3000 are the 3 puck triangular discs. Can I put one of those in?

Any advice or cautions?

Good observation Shaun. Hadn't considered that... I was thinking they all used the same bolt pattern on the pressure plate.
mvphoto106971.jpg

mvphoto106972.jpg

mvphoto106973.jpg

I manged to clean up the disc, the flywheel should be ok too. The pressure plate looks fubar'd.

So it looks like a reman disc from YT is $100 plus $15 core (do I want to pay $20 shipping to get $15 back?) and the 12" pressure plate is $173 (new). Or there's a used pair on the bay for $75 delivered but it looks like the PP has some scoring....

I've put 50 hours on this thing over the past 4 years, it doesn't get much use....

I'd really hate to split this thing again though.

Thoughts?

I would try a 4inch body grinding disc (80 grit) and
see how that pressure plate cleans up. The clutch is
pretty new. The manufacturing ripples are still in the
lining. But if the pressure plate doesnt clean up to
your satisfaction, it didnt cost anything to try.

Do the Google or go to tractor and big truck shops and see if there is a reputable clutch rebuilder you can take it to.

For a loader tractor I'd stay with the larger clutch or the largest you can fit. You could fit the button clutch but personally
I'm not a huge fan. They wear the flywheel badly over time vs the organic disc you have. I think what you have would clean up fine
with a flap disc on the flywheel, wire wheel on the disc... and mabey disassemble the pressure plate and have that surface ground
on a flywheel grinder.... clean it up good and reassemble. Or it may just be cheaper to buy a reman.
Going with a smaller clutch would not be my first choice but it will no doubt work. You just have the 'heavy duty' clutch option.

Rod

Broken springs and giant scaly deposits on the pressure plate. 40 grit flap wheel took the high spots off the flywheel but dropped it off for turning anyhow.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back