3400 Sediment Bowl Rust

levsmith

I acquired a 3400 about 7 years ago. At that time, I replaced the gas tank with a brand new one from YT because the old one was so rusty. Everything has been great since then until this year. It has been collecting about 1/4" of rust colored powder at the bottom of the sediment bowl and stops running. Once I clean the bowl out, it runs fine again. Seems like I am having to clean it out about every time I use the tractor at this point.

Is the gas tank rusting already? And is there something I should have done to the new tank before using it to make sure it lasts longer then 7 years? I have some Red Kote tank liner that I was going to use on the old tank before I realized how bad it was. I didn't figure I needed to use it on a brand new tank though. Any advice is appreciated!

(quoted from post at 09:30:03 11/29/23) I acquired a 3400 about 7 years ago. At that time, I replaced the gas tank with a brand new one from YT because the old one was so rusty. Everything has been great since then until this year. It has been collecting about 1/4" of rust colored powder at the bottom of the sediment bowl and stops running. Once I clean the bowl out, it runs fine again. Seems like I am having to clean it out about every time I use the tractor at this point.

Is the gas tank rusting already? And is there something I should have done to the new tank before using it to make sure it lasts longer then 7 years? I have some Red Kote tank liner that I was going to use on the old tank before I realized how bad it was. I didn't figure I needed to use it on a brand new tank though. Any advice is appreciated!

Pretty common with a tractor that sits alot. The rust is probably from condensation that forms on the inside walls of the tank that isn't kept full. Keeping the gas topped off will help minimize the condensation.

I don't believe aftermarket tanks are made out of the correct coated metal. Terne is the name of the coating that's applied to the metal. On my own tractors I go to the trouble of cleaning and applying Por-15 to line the tanks.

I have replaced a many a tank mostly automotive on my own truck the tank was in terrible condition after 5 years. If the tank were made using Terne no way it would start to rust in that time.

Use a mirror and a flashlight look at the underside of the tank if its starting to rust you are going to have to do something about it. The fuel cap can also become an issue with rust. I relate this to automotive EFI the pump/system cannot live in a dirty environment fighting contamination is a lost cause. A carb system can survive contamination to a point most use a trash pump to get the fuel to the carb.

Por-15 is a P.I.T.A on the next one I am gonna try Red Coat.

Hobo, I have used Red Cote with complete success. Be sure to slosh around Muriatic acid (the stuff to clean brick mortar, concrete, etc.) in there first to clean and degrease then follow directions. It works.

(quoted from post at 19:46:53 11/30/23) Hobo, I have used Red Cote with complete success. Be sure to slosh around Muriatic acid (the stuff to clean brick mortar, concrete, etc.) in there first to clean and degrease then follow directions. It works.

I have worked on tractor tanks that used red coat, its not as nice of a look as Por-15 but none have had issues after the red coat. They all have a red tint to the fuel it dose make you wonder if the red coat dissolves over time. Are they did not let it cure long enoufh.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back