350 utility another steering issue

After rebuilding the steering I got the power steering working and then,after a split got the transmission sorted out on this tractor. A little bit of electrical work and rebuilding the carb got the tractor working fairly well. At the end of winter while using the loader to move snow, the steering went out again. New issue this time. The Lever Shaft with sector gear has a broken tooth. It's number 43 in the diagram below. Apparently its been welded before. The guy that does my welding doesn't want the job because it's cast and he says it probably won't hold. Of course the shaft is hard to find used. I'm open to opinions on welding but here's my question. In my search for a replacement what utility models use the same shaft. I know the 300 and 350 are interchangeable and does it matter whether the shaft coming off the donor tractor is manual or power steering? I don't believe so but I'd like to be 100% certain. Thanks for the help! Paul

Someone can fix that, just need to find the right guy. I understand time is of the essence, but at least try a couple individuals. Its not a high rpm situation that requires accurate tooth profile... just needs to keep things in mesh. Is the missing tooth between other teeth or at the end?

Fritz. Thank you for the reply. The missing tooth is at the end. The guy said he could do it but he doesn't feel right charging me $100-200 and it might break immediately. These folks have a pretty solid reputation and I don't think they like doing work they can't guarantee will work.It's their a certain type of welding I should be looking for? Paul

I was asking about tooth position because I was wondering if it could have been damaged in a previous accident, i.e. the wheels turned all the way so that the end tooth on the sector was the only one carrying the load. If they struck a building or a stump, and there were no limiting stops on the spindles, the shock would be transferred to the steering box. As for what kind of weld, that would be up to the weldor to determine, depending on what material the sector is made out of. Same with the method of repair... a guy willing to take that on would know what to do with it.

A broken tooth on the sector is a common problem on them when used as a loader tractor . They were NOT tough enough from the factory . It can be fixed and work as well as new and that is not sayen much . I have repaired several and they have held up ok as long as your not tryen to overload the loader or working in mud with a heavy load on the loader and your ft tires are NOT mushing out under load adding more strain . The way to do this repair is buy drilling three holes and tap for 5/16ths i don't care course of fine thread . Use a grade eight bolt with a shank and screw it into the holes and bottom it out then cut the heads off . Then ya take to preheat to around 450-500 degrees and set in to the tooth build up . Myself i used either M G 600 or royal 220 rod . Also make up a templet for tooth profile and to keep center and tooth height . I have hand ground them and also had the machine shop i use mill them . He does a nicer job as he is more OCD then i am . After welding bury it in sand and let it cool down for a day before ya take to making the tooth.

Tractor vet. That you for the reply. For what it's worth your suggestion sound correct to me. Would you, or anyone else reading this offer this suggestion to a welder? Is that like telling your mechanic how to fix your car? I could see if I had a clue about welding but it's pretty obvious I do not. Thanks! Paul

In your area find a machine shop that fabricates as well. In St. Cloud it would be Iklers. They can both weld properly and grind the tooth to shape. Jim

I'm sure glad i Sold the 350U i had a while back. The Power steering worked ok i guess as long as you were moving. I keep hearing how weak the PS is on those tractors with a loader on them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back